Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: angry goose  (Read 2465 times)

pastie4x4

• Joined Sep 2012
  • tavistock
    • jtp landscapes
angry goose
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:04:28 am »
 :roflanim: hello there my 3 year old goose has turned angry this week any reasons for this ??? :rant:

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: angry goose
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 10:06:44 am »
could be due to the weather and wanting to breed

pastie4x4

• Joined Sep 2012
  • tavistock
    • jtp landscapes
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:12:50 am »
never dune it before  :thinking:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:16:57 am »
Is it a goose or a gander. They are just coming into the breeding system (my flock are getting down and dirty at the mo!) and the ganders are much more aggressive and protective at this time. Ours fight in the middle of the night even.

I think it is just nature!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 01:51:52 pm »
Yep, my big soppy gander has just turned into a monster (actually he's better today but while the goose was scouting for nest sites, he was being ultra protective). The goose is still mellow though - I've seen her being chased by both the cockerel and the drake. So if it's a gander with geese to protect, I'd say normal. If it's a goose, I'd be more puzzled...

H

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:29:02 pm »
Yes they become increasingly more aggressive from start March to roughly mid May at which point almost overnight, they return to placid again.  Ours has just started hissing and this will build up to full on running at me with wings flapping.  The kids take a very wide berth  ;D .  Last year the gander settled onces his ladies were sitting on the nest 24/7 and he was left on his lonesome.  He wasn't aggressive when the goslings arrived - I could go and pick them up at that point.

I think as they get older, the ganders become more assertive and confident, so I expect yours was younger before hence lack of aggression.  Or maybe he has just found the fact that you are nice to him a good reason to hate you  ;D .
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

pastie4x4

• Joined Sep 2012
  • tavistock
    • jtp landscapes
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:19:01 am »
Or maybe he has just found the fact that you are nice to him a good reason to hate you

:roflanim:  :roflanim:  :roflanim:  :roflanim: love this bit

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:14:08 pm »
I agree with the other posts.. its that time of year when our gander gets major pms! he has turned into a little sod over the last 3 weeks. I have threatened to cook him for dinner on numerous occasions when he gets the back of my knee when i'm not looking!
(I guess he's not too happy at me laughing out loud when he is trying to have sexy time with his lady in the pond and falls off)  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS