Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Could this have been Schmallenberg???  (Read 4250 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Could this have been Schmallenberg???
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:14:33 pm »
One of my does I had assumed to be empty as she didn't kid on 18th Feb + no sign of udder + no sign of dropped pelvis, none of the normal pre-kidding evidence just a fat tummy.....and I assumed she'd just done well over the winter. However, late yesterday afternoon she dropped a kid!!!! Female BUT deformed.   The pelvis was 'odd' plus she didn't have an eye one side and worst of all was her lower jaw was twisted and the upper palette was only half formed.   She is obviously no longer with us and I've never ever had anything like this before, but I do wonder if it was a Schmallenberg result.
Anyone any ideas?
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Could this have been Schmallenberg???
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:00:28 pm »
im sure someone else with experience will know more but I'm sure that jaw deformity in particular is indicative of schmallenberg?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:24:48 pm »
Send to your Vet...............my gut feeling is Schmallenberg.

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:53:42 pm »
Sorry to hear this, but yes, it does sound like it could be.  I'd get it checked.
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:22:07 pm »
Thanks folks.    Nature is an amazing thing.  This doe is normally a 'gallon a day girl' post kidding and always has at least twins.   On this occasion, this one deformed kid and only a couple of pints in her udder - she obviously knew before it was even born that it was going to be non-starter  :( .   Got two more does to kid and the next one is due on 9th March but she already has an ever expanding udder and her pelvis has dropped, so I'm guessing she's gonna be fine  :fc: :fc: :fc: .  The previous kid was fine too (in fact an absolute gem), so here's hoping it was a one off 'bite'.

Lambing at full swing at the moment and 27 lambs so far, none of whom have shown any schmallenberg signs, thank goodness.
Thanks again chums  :thumbsup:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:26:31 pm »
Could be, but it would be odd if only one goat has been affected, even though sheep and other goats got mated at the same time...

I would definitely get the dead kid tested though...

And even if it is not very pleasant some photos may just be useful for future reference. I don't think I have heard of any other goat herds in the UK having it....? You have now got me worrried...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:52:43 am »
Last year a good friend had deformed twins (dead), it was early in the year before Schmallenberg had really kicked off but to this day she regrets not getting them checked. I wonder how many other goat keepers had anomalies last year but as we don't exist in the sheer number that sheep do in this country it kind of gets pushed aside?  please do get it checked  :bouquet:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:28:54 am »
Carcase needs to be as fresh as possible but, that said, we took one just hours old straight to the AHVLA last March and were told it wasn't SBV.  Over the year, though, we heard quite a few reports of people doing the same thing and, because of the nature of the deformities, we all thought they were SBV but the lab said not (not specified what they test for - antibodies? type of deformity?)  Ours was perfect except for no eyeballs in its sockets. Our Hunt kennels had one brought in with no head, just a pair of ears where it should be.  But too many deformities in lambing season to be coincidence, surely?

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:20:57 am »
Goodness, its amazing that there are such deformities around, but very interesting comments from all and thanks for the feedback. Since ( :fc: ) nothing else so far seems to have been affected we are assuming that maybe it wasn't Schmallenberg and just an unfortunate incident.   If it happens again we'll take it straight to AH for confirmation one way or another.    Out of interest, does anyone know if Schmallenberg cases are always born dead??
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:25:28 am »
Ellisr had cases last year where they were born alive but did not survive.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 11:33:24 am »
No, some of the milder froms do survive, and there was someone on the sheep section who managed to get some of their Schmallenberg lambs to fat weight.

Have you used the same male on any of your other nannies?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 12:02:16 pm »
A friend had a deformed kid born by my billy once,unfortunately it was born alive and a fighter but had to be put down (Two heads and cleft pallets)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 12:05:26 pm »
This one was born alive but couldn't suckle due to the deformed mouth.
Yes, my buck has covered my does for the last 3 years now and this is the first time there has been a problem.    It will no doubt always be a mystery  :thinking: .
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 12:18:13 pm »
Today, the AHVLA has reported two confirmed cases of SBV in goats in East Sussex.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/files/20130227sbv-statistics.pdf

I had a lamb born last year, confirmed SBV. Overshot jaw and fused knee joints, apart from those deformities she was a feisty ewe lamb. PTS by vet and sent to AHVLA for testing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:22:33 pm by BadgerFace »
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:29 pm »
Latest AVLHA stats shows two confirmed cases of Schmallenberg's in goats from E. Sussex this month :(
also an alpaca in Northamptonshire!
http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/files/20130227sbv-statistics.pdf

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS