Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aggressive cockerel - or not?  (Read 2825 times)

the great composto

Aggressive cockerel - or not?
« on: February 27, 2013, 11:41:20 am »
We have a self hatched light sussex cockerel just started crowing so about 19 weeks.  I was going to put him in with two ladies for a breeding trio but.........  when i put my hand in the coop for eggs yesterday he pecked my hand & left a nasty 1 inch scratch - this was my fault because I didnt see him still in the coop when i reached in.
This morning though he attacked my boots (no claws just beak).

The question I have is does that mean he is an agressive bird or is he just trying to defend his space - does it justify the pot or am i just going to breed some agressive traits in his offspring.

in his defence he is in the pen with a large buff cockerel who is giving him a hard time since he started crowing and i need to separate them v. soon.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Aggressive cockerel - or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 11:47:00 am »
I had to re-home my LS cockerel for exactly that reason - and the loud crowing disturbing a night shift neighbour.  ::)

I was scared he'd go for my grandchildren although I got him to the stage where he respected me.  I picked him up and walked around with him under my arm doing stuff, then threw him down on the ground when I'd finished.  He steered clear of me after doing that a few times.  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:13:41 pm »
I would personally give him a chance ..... but then I am a bit of a softie.  ::)

My cockerels are feeling the effects of Spring and fighting each other, though not aggressive to us. Your lad if young and in with another cockerel may just be feeling full of gusto as the days get longer and being a bit bossy due to the other male. We had some pekin cockerels who were similar last spring but they are fine now.

If he does turn out to be aggressive I would get rid though. My father has a Wyandotte cockerel and he is a wicked bird. He can rip holes in your jeans and fetch blood and has to be locked away if my sisters children visit. Mine fend him off and find him quite amusing  ::)  ... mad as they are. He will let my father pick him up and cuddle him but does not like visitors. I would have put him in the pot a long time ago.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:51:15 pm »
I've seen a huge surge in testosterone these last couple of days. My gander who's always been a big softie (with me at least) has just gone all agressive and the cockerel is picking on everything except his hens (interesting face off between the two of them this afternoon - drake keeping his distance). So I've give him a little time but, yes, separating him out from the other cockerel would seem sensible - especially if you can give him some hens of his own.

H

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:57:08 pm »
Yes he is an aggressive cockerel.
I currently have a young LS and a young Australorp who both go for me (and others) on a regular basis (usually when there is food about). I'm keeping them until the spring, and once a supply of purebred fertile eggs are in the incubator they may well be on their way. Unfortunately agressiveness is believed to be inherant, so if this is the case there will be a few more chicken dinners on the menu and a change of male stock.
If you look it up on the internet, you will see ways of dealing with an aggressive cockerel which might be worth looking at.

the great composto

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:53:17 am »
Thanks all - i have a little sympathy for him and I think i will try him in a separate coop but i didnt want to leave it to long if he is inevitably going for coq-au-vin.
I especially dont want to breed in aggression.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS