Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: collie dog pup  (Read 31899 times)

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
collie dog pup
« on: March 09, 2008, 06:22:08 am »
hi everyone, i'm looking for a collie/sheepdog dog pup, if anybody knows of any for sale could you let me know please :) pref in wales ;D

Thanks
Dan
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: collie dog pup
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:35:50 am »
Hi Dan, There's an advert on Farmers Guardian website for 2 x 8month old collies - in the Midlands.  Go to www.farmersguardian.com  and look under Livestock in the Classified section.  The advert is somewhere around 8-10th one down the list.   Mandy
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 05:26:15 pm »
will have a look now when i get in, thanks for that

Dan

swavgav

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:06:37 pm »
Hey

have a look in the yellow paper(Adtrader) in the dogs section theres always collie pups in there

Gav

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 09:46:43 pm »
yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;D ive found a pup and am going to see him tomorrow! He looks a right scruffpot, but hey what the heck, hes parents are both regd working sheepdogs and hes showing alot of interest :)

Will let you know if i get him, and keep you upto date on hes ups and downs ;D :D

Dan

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 11:02:12 pm »
if your looking for a dog first try the kennel club website, this will give you info on breed types, accredited breeders, breed standards etc etc (http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/)

a good site to find dogs for sale is: http://www.epupz.co.uk/

;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 07:40:27 am »
I assume since you're looking for a pup off working parents that you're planning to work him too. I'm realy loking forward to hearing hgow the training progresses. We have two collies, both off working stock, but they're pets - but the instinct is there, especially Meg. I wish we'd been able to train them to work - it's what they're meant for.

I think Collies are prone to an eye defect but dogs registered with the International Sheepdog Association (I think that's correct) are screened. If I knew how to google without losing this post I'd check it for you. But the ISDA will probably be more use than the KC in respect of working dogs.

Best wishes and can't wait for the photos / videos - they are exceptional dogs.

PS Please give him a proper collie name!

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 08:08:47 am »
Yep he'll be working :)  i've just rehomed a working bitch i had, she was brilliant when she wasnt on heat, but as soon as she came on heat, well OMG :P a different kettle of fish!!! any suggestions for names would be greatly appreciated, as we havent got a clue what to call him.

Dan

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 08:27:01 am »
Hi Dan

I hope your collie is pretty and sturdy, email pics please, One of mine is  a year old now, he is a smooth coated tri, his mother came from Wales and he is working really well.  If I had enough room I think I would have another as Mist is nine now and refuses to work! she has taught Moss well though and when he gets a bit carried away and doesn't listen to the whistle, she fetches him back.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 09:11:07 am »
How exciting.......and its funny you mentioned about the 'seasons' as there was someone on another forum who had dreadful trouble with her bitch too when she came into season.  She rehomed her too and I think the bitch now has charge of someones ducks/geese!  ;).     My little collie is Tash and she is now 15 months old.  We went for lessons together during November/December last year...but now just practicing what we learned!!   It's so rewarding when we get it right and we get the sheep in the pen between us.   ;D ;D  Love it.   
Send a pic as soon as you can, because names kind of come from looking at a dog and seeing what 'fits' dont you think? :D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 12:47:12 pm »

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 02:36:35 pm »
well blinkers what a suprise :D I dont suppose you no if cochiman had that other little bitch do you?  she's working realy well for him and enjoying her new home and work ;D  well looking at him he should be called mess or scruff or summit like that :D hes in realy good con but scruffy looking ;D but i dont realy think any of those names are realy suitable for a worker!!!!!!!!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 03:43:03 pm »
....what about "Muttly"  ....although you could spell it other ways!!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 05:04:14 pm »
sound good shouwting that across the field ;D  I had one before poor little thing got run over, we didnt know what to call him, so he was named by me as 

wait for it

DOG ;D ;D

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 07:04:34 pm »
Hmmmm.....could catch on  :o
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS