Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog walker rant  (Read 3010 times)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Dog walker rant
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:07:30 pm »
OK, I know this has been covered before here, but I need to let off steam. Yesterday one of our ewes aborted, about 4 months gestation. She seems fine and the fetus seems fine as far as I can tell. Then a neighbour tells me that earlier in the day he saw a couple with their dogs off the lead and the dogs were chasing the sheep.
FFS! There are "please keep your dogs on the lead" signs on all the gates. And from his description I think I know who the people are, and they are folk who should no better! At least the rest of the ewes are OK, apart from one who's injured her shoulder (not a bite, but a wrench). Very angry! Thinking about CCTV - or at least CCTV signs!
 :rant: >:( :rant: >:( :rant: >:(

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Dog walker rant
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:15:24 pm »
Some people just do not realise what their dogs are doing, they possibly just think chasing a sheep or two is only a bit of fun and no harm will  be done as they are not going to bite the sheep, I know how wrong that is but then, others possibly do not. I still like to see signs up, I was walking occasionally down a disused train line but not anymore as there are sheep in fields near the line now so I avoid that area, even though my dogs are not interested in sheep I still would not trust them as they could run into a field after a rabbit then the sheep would run etc. Can you put a warning sign up? I like the warning livestock signs as then I know whats coming up.
So so sorry, I certainly understand but many dog owners do not :bouquet:

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:18:36 pm »
Totaly understand your anger - I'd leave the aborted on their doorstep.
Sheep

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:44:41 pm »
I would go and see them and say clearly you cant be sure what dog as you werent there but you are asking all local dog owners who use the route to be sure to keep their dogs on the lead or under close control which to me means you can reach out and touch the dog the whole time.
They probably wont like it as people get very defensive re their pooches but it might alter their behaviour. Also report it as an incident to the police (as opposed to as a crime), they will have a record then if there is any further problem. And get in touch with the local paper, its just the sort of thing they could do an article on, and it helps to raise peoples understanding of the issue.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:15:10 pm »
 :bouquet:  Sorry

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:12:03 am »
So sorry.  :bouquet:

I do agree that many dog owners simply don't realise how dangerous it is to upset in-lamb ewes.  If you can put up signs explaining that ewes are very vulnerable at this time and that any upset can cause them to fall ill and perhaps abort or even die, I'm sure it would help.

And I do think the idea of talking to 'all' the local dog walkers, if you can, is a good one.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:09:26 am »
Thanks, yes, speaking to "all" of the local dog walkers is a great idea. Can't see the local paper running an article, but my friend who teaches at the local primary school is going to do a project with the kids (including the children of the people involved) on responsible dog walking. She's going to cover sheep & cows but also ground-nesting birds, so should benefit all of those on our land and nearby as well!
I've also made up some signs which I'll laminate and put up at the entrances to our fields.
So if they do it again there's no excuse!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:21:54 am »
 :thumbsup:  Love that idea, children should at least take notice, whether thier parents listen or not is another story. I also love the idea of the signs, like I said, I turn back or avoid places where there are livestock of any kind, I did pop along a dog walk where there were some sheep  but my dogs took no notice, the sheep all were so friendly they ran up to the gate but my dogs were all on the lead by then, that was such a bad walk anyway as one of my dogs love running up banks and ended up running onto the road!! Forests for me every time.

Lets just hope thats the last shock you or your Ewes, will have :bouquet:

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:33:04 pm »

grrrrrr, I've got a same but different problem, we have a 5 van caravan site at the top pf our drive and the local villagers have been letting the dogs off the lead to S**t very where, the only bonus is my ewes and lambs aren't in the fields surrounding as the site or they would be at risk to from the morons too. You have my sympathies with this! have you read the article in Farming country about a llama guard I don't know anything about it but probably worth a read. Hope all the others are doing well :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS