Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too good to be true ....????  (Read 6263 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Too good to be true ....????
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:38:56 pm »
Following on from my previous thread this week about feeding border collies.   :dog:

Have gradually changed Meg's diet to half pup food and half adult over the course of this week. Her behaviour has noticeably changed  :o . I've noticed it, OH, even the children!!!! Much calmer and responsive. Playing of course and having her mad moments but much, much calmer.

Just coincidence or down to diet???  ???

To be honest I did wonder if different protein levels could make much difference to a dog. Can it have such an effect in such a short time????

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Too good to be true ....????
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:10:12 pm »
Yes.  I can tell that Dot has had high protein complete dog food after two nights.  I can give it to her once with impunity, after that I have a very very energetic hyper collie  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:24:28 pm »
OMG.

To be honest Sally, I was following advice but did doubt that mere protein content could have much effect.

There is a vast difference in Meg. We have been pondering whether it was just another "puppy phase" but thought it odd that it coincided with the change in diet.

Her play was at times "frenzied" and yet my 11 year old has sat with her this evening and taught her to roll a ball back and forth and she is watching us constantly and listening to commands.

I wonder if all breeds would respond in this way. Our Flattie is 7 and still "hyper" at times. Three different lots of people came over to speak to us about Alf last summer and all of them said they had owned Flat-Coats but had to give them up as they found them too boisterous and difficult to handle. Going to try Alf on a lower protein food and see what happens.

I wasn't aware of the difference it could make ..... sure many aren't.

Thanks folks  :thumbsup:

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 08:48:36 pm »
There is a known link between aggression and very high protein diets.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:57:24 pm »
There is also a well-established link between high protein diets and kidney problems in later life.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:49:33 pm »
I've said this time and again - if my Brits get anything more than 20% they just don't listen, they are selectively deaf anyway but it makes them unliveable with.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 12:55:35 pm »
I have mine on 18 which works well. When teaching I always knew if a dog was on Bakers dog food, they were off the wall. When I bred Irish Setters a high protein diet would make them itichy.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 02:58:49 pm »
Not just a collie thing then.

Odd, been around "doggy" people .... showing and working gundogs .... all my life and yet never heard anyone mention about high protein diets and related problems.  ???

Good job I've got TAS people to talk to  ;D

Meg's off to puppy school tonight (I've only ever done gundog classes so bit nervous) ...... hope she stays calm and chilled.  ::) ;D 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 03:56:51 pm »
Don't worry, if the trainer is any good s/he will know how to keep the pups happy and not too mad  ;)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 04:00:00 pm »
It's great to hear that a change of diet seems to be working!  :thumbsup:

Can anyone recommend a good but reasonably priced brand of low protein adult dog food?

We have a 5 yo golden retriever who bounces off the walls! I hate taking her for a walk as once you put the lead on her she jumps all over place and she has pulled me over in the past. She also suffers from bad skin which our vet said was an allergic reaction to something, probably her food. First time round we were using bakers but her skin improved considerably when we took her off it so I wouldn't go back there. Recently though her skin is starting to get bad again. I am now wondering whether its worth trying her on a low protein diet to see if it calms her down and also maybe improves her skin condition.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 04:02:53 pm »
Try her on a proper wholebake biscuit (Laughing Dog Terrier Meal for instance) and Chappie.  That'll take the protein right down, lose the additives, and still be a perfectly nutritious diet for an adult companion dog.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »
I like Chappie. Have had great success getting dogs to loose weight on it (actually they seem to do better than the weight loss branded food).

I have the opposite problem, trying to find a higher protein diet for my collie x who loses muscle mass easily. he has food allergies so most diets are no go for him. I tried CSJ That'll Do, he did well on it. I like the CSJ diets- they might do a lower protein one?[size=78%] [/size]
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 04:32:17 pm »
Their senior/light is 17% protein and 8% fat, which is low.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 04:43:43 pm »
Funky fish, try Lilly's kitchen food if he's got allergies, it's proper ingredients, it's also seriously expensive!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:11 pm »

Meg's off to puppy school tonight (I've only ever done gundog classes so bit nervous) ...... hope she stays calm and chilled.  ::) ;D
ITH, there is a GSD puppy at our puppy school and she was very hyper last week. The trainer asked them what they were feeding her as they were struggling to get her to respond (can't remember what they said) but he asked them to reduce the protein in her diet.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS