Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs taking milk direct from a cow???  (Read 6157 times)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
Pigs taking milk direct from a cow???
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:46:20 pm »
I was talking to my neighbour earlier today and he informed me that he had lost a 'milch cow' two days ago due to severe mastitis, which was apparently caused by her teats becoming infected after they had been damaged by two of his Tamworth growers suckling from her in the field.

He said that a neighbour of his had phoned him to tell him that the two pigs had been spotted suckling the cow and when he checked her teats had sores and bite marks...she was old with a heavy low bag so easy for the pigs to reach....Now this is a new one on me, has anyone heard of any similar incidents?

Farmer
 :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Pigs taking milk direct from a cow???
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:02:19 pm »
Never - he should have taken a photo - selling it would have made up for the loss of the cow!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 07:47:19 pm »
Wow definitely not heard of that one, but then again it doesn't really sound surprising that the pigs would have a go,  but a surprise that the cow would let them!  Poor neighbour losing her to a pair of fiesty pigs!

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:15:09 am »
Afraid it's a common occurence when young pigs are allowed to mix with miliking cows. Keep them seperate is the only way to avoid the problem.

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:58:52 am »
I have heard of badgers suckling cows, whether its true or not is another thing  ;) apparently its the way TB is contracted

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 03:32:21 pm »
Bearing in mind that yesterday a woman was killed by cows whilst walking her dogs, the cows took umbrage at the dogs in their field, I wonder that the cows dont kill either badgers or pigs trying to suckle.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:24:30 pm »
Cows with bursting udders enjoy the relief of being suckled. Neither pigs nor badgers are seen as a threat in the way that dogs are.

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 04:59:29 pm »
I would be thinking that milking cows would let another animal suckle.  As she is being milked in the parlour she is not protecting any calf.  On the other hand, suckler cows are crazy!!  They are protecting their young so tend to be on the wary side of any other animals or people.  Some do feed other calves, some calves we call them the "raiders" stand at the back of a cow when she is feeding her own calf and suck from there, Mrs Cow is probably confused as to whats going on but cannot see the 2nd calf behind her!!

Just wondering how this poor woman died?  Was she the owner of the cows?

We have been warned as suckler farmers not to have a dog with us in the fields or even a working dog because if the dog irritates the cows they could chase it, and 9 times out of 10 the dog will run to the person its with for protection and cows could kill you as a result.  Its all health and safety but good to know as much info as one can get.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:08:12 pm »
Our news programme said she was on a stretch of the Pennine Way.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 10:29:35 am »
Well if cats can suckle dog and visa verse am sure other animals will do it.
Linz

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 12:36:27 pm »
See the attached American postcard from the early 1900s.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 06:39:56 pm »
Now that is cute!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS