Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: incubator advice  (Read 3455 times)

liffy

• Joined Jul 2012
incubator advice
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:01:08 pm »
Can anyone recommend a budget friendly incubator for a beginner? Thanks.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: incubator advice
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:36:29 am »
I have a Brinsea Octagon with an automatic turner which has given good service for batches of 24 hen eggs. You might find one on eBay - search now before the hatching season starts!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:52:42 am »
yes brin sea poley hatch very good 40 eggs automatic the best r com with out dought

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:48:00 pm »
I am also looking for an incubator for my smallholding. Has anyone used this incubator

http://www.wheatcroftpoultry.co.uk/productDetails.asp?intProductID=551&intCategoryID=21#specifications

and how did you find it

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:09:06 pm »
no but dont bother get some think that works brinsea all day these imported incubaters fail to dry to wet etc  r com carnt go wrong

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »
Thank you Victorian Farmer.

I thought it a good idea to ask before I take the plunge. I am sceptical about things with no reviews. I have been looking at all sorts but think I will look more at Brinsea Rcom, just to decide which one I want now

liffy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:34:56 pm »
Thank you. I will look at one as well.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:55:41 pm »
tom at brinsea asked me to try octagon 10 20 and 40 egg iv also had the over easey not 1 was good enough to get a 80 per cent hatch first go with the r com 18 out of 22 poly hatch 42 egg 38 out of 42 i then went for a Marseilles and 85 percent dry hatch no problem but price 1200 bit steep .So cheap poly hatch 85 to 100 pound r com e bay 150 so if you have never done it these are the only 2 i would bother with . remember i had a hatch in a 500 incubator 320 cock birds and only 130 hens .Go for 8 bird group  2 bared rocks 3 light Sussex and 3 roads all utility and sexabul at hatch these 8 birds will lay more than a group of 20 and lay from naw till the end off October my am rocks have just done 330 eggs and the Sussex 300 eggs and 2 road  island red cock birds . iv naw built a live incubator utility Sussex and a gold silky copper tops soon as they go broody put 12 eggs under and take away the cocks at hatch you should get 8 no lamps fuss etc .So some think to think about .

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:58:43 pm »
Thank you Victorian Farmer. My Polyhatch arrived today. I have already given it a bit of a test run this afternoon to check all was working and seems very stable despite the mobile we live in isn't very well insulated. We threw ourselves in the deep end. When we bought the place we thought it was a proper mobile and not a holiday home. We moved in in November and after a couple of days ran out of LPG so no heating for a couple of days when the temperatures were down to -6C. The old poultry shed was warmer than the mobile! lovely when the sun comes up as we get the sun in the lounge all day! I think the blinds will be going up in the summer as we will cook - LOL.

liffy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 05:50:00 pm »
More advice needed! Thanks for all so far. Can I hatch bantam and large fowl eggs in the incubator at the same time?
Thanks!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 07:35:28 pm »
i would check the humidatey in youre mobile i think you could do dry hatch and also remember if the power goes and you cover up it will last 5 houres un touched .

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 09:37:44 am »
Will check the humidity. I have heard of people doing a dry hatch with great success.

With regards to the power, without tempting fate, since we have sorted out a couple of issues the previous people caused we haven't had a problem. But that is good to know. If the power does go we do have a petrol generator we can use if necessary but it is rather juicy - still better than loosing all the chicks.

Thank you for your help

Mrs np

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 11:25:00 am »
I have a Brinsea mini advance which is absolutely idiot proof and takes 7 eggs. Ideal for a beginner who doesn't want to be overrun with chicks - a nice gentle start.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 06:02:51 pm »
We take incubators into schools for hatchings and we use the brinsea mini-advance (the one with auto turn) and we had 100% hatch out of each one we had (although depends on quality of eggs!!!) so had 28 out of 28. We've got 10 schools booked in this year so far so going to have some fowl for sale!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS