Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig not eating  (Read 7449 times)

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
Pig not eating
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:52:56 am »
Hi All - our 9 month old OSB doesnt appear to be herself (she is about to go to the abbatoir!).

This morning went to feed them and she never came out her hut - the others did. When she did come she moved slowly - came up to the food, sniffed it walked away had a drink of water. Scratched her back and she squatted like she was going to go to the toilet, stretched out and just stood there.

Her tail is also poker straight and pointing up when she walks. When I scratched her back it dropped covering her bits...

I've checked her over and she has no scratches, marks or anything. Physically sound.

I'll keep an eye on her - but anyone come across this before?

Thanks....

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Re: Pig not eating
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:30:40 pm »
Hi, has she been vaccinated against erysipelas as our gilt did the same next morning she was dead from erysipelas, some times there are no leisions or red marks just one minute of food the next day dead.

If you have vaccinated and she is showing signs of illness I would not send her to slaughter as she may be rejected after by the vet as unfit.

Just keep an eye on her, give penicillin if you have some and do not slaughter for 28 days.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 12:37:55 pm »
Could be she's coming into season ???  One of ours goes quiet, almost wsitful type and eats less. Check her tush for ripeness and whetehr she squeals when you scratch her back.
Mandy :pig:

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:35:14 pm »
Wow the erysipelas has frightened the life out of me. One dead sheep, one struggling from Liver Fluke recovery and now an ill pig - the perils of small holding.

We were told by our VET and I promise I will name and shame if anything happens to this Pig - that Pigs do not need any vaccinations. Regular worming is fine.

He knows that we have pigs that we will breed from and he knows this one is for the abbatoir.

I've called him out to take a look...

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 01:43:32 pm »
Regarding vaccinating, our vet recommended vaccination for erysipelas as we breed from them and sell the meat, as it is not that expensive when you take into count the value of the pig and any lost revenue, we paid £21.00 for the last batch enough for 25pigs  we are getting some more this weekend as we have 8 piglets to do and and in 4 weeks boosters for the other 5 sows  so works out well as the piglets will get their second shot at the same time.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:08:45 pm »
We were told by our VET and I promise I will name and shame if anything happens to this Pig - that Pigs do not need any vaccinations. Regular worming is fine.

He knows that we have pigs that we will breed from and he knows this one is for the abbatoir.

Depends if you are an open or closed herd? where in the UK you are? how close another herd is? and as you say this pig is off to the freezer. So the Vet might be right even if they are wrong, i hope your pig gets better though.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 04:52:08 pm »
We have had three young pigs who got erisypelas, even though they had been vaccinated!   The first to get it wouldn't eat and looked in acute pain.  Very frightening as it comes on so suddenly with no warning.   The key symptom is a very sudden high temperature.   I posted the details of what happened to our pigs on the recent post about general health and worming;  if I knew how to do quotes I'd have copied on to here.   If they have got eri you need to get a penicillin jab in really really quickly.   Tamsaddle

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:58:50 pm »
Vet came - would not vaccinate her for erysipelas as he said we are a closed herd (only 5 pigs) with no other pigs anywhere near. I'm in South Lanarkshire and he has not come across a case of [/size]erysipelas locally[/size].
[/size]
[/size]He did give her a shot of penicillin and this morning she is bouncing round and eating well :-)
[/size]
[/size]

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 01:24:03 pm »
Very glad the pig responded to the jab.
We had a similar situation with one of our 3 pigs last year - suddenly she became listless and uninterested in food, though still drinking. No obvious rash (mind you difficult to tell with an OSB x GOS) but definitely an unhappy pig. Vet came out, decided it was most probably erisypelas and gave her an injection with the the comment 'she will either be better tomorrow or dead' - she got better.  :excited:

The vet said that generally erisypelas is normally present in the soil and it is really a matter of chance (pig slightly stressed/below par) given that the other 2 pigs were in the same paddock as the infected one but had no issues. I asked about vaccinating the other  and he basically said there was no point. Our pigs were also due to have gone to the abattoir but we had to delay until the withdrawal period for the antibiotics had passed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS