Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can u put chickens and ducks together  (Read 12654 times)

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
can u put chickens and ducks together
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:15:09 am »
im building a pen 10ft wide and 25ft long for some chickens and i want some ducks do i need to do anything different to keep them together eg pond will the chickens drown?

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
Re: can u put chickens and ducks together
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 01:59:11 am »
we have 3 ducks that live in the same area as our chickens they ducks, have there own little house and a small pond to swim  in, not had a problem from either side, they even share the food and any green stuff going - ducks need to be told when to go to bed, chickens just go when the light goes.

and you get to try duck eggs (good selling point at the gate)

have fun
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:39:52 am »
My we calls share a shed with some chickens. No problems what so ever. The ducks take themselves to bed with the chickens.  :eyelashes:
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:51:51 am »
Just be aware that ducks have a fondness for splashing water around, so they will tend to make things damper for the chucks

The original Khaki Campbell ducks were bred by a Mrs Campbell specifically so they could be run with chickens, they only need water deep enough to wash their eyes, but they still love a splash, as do all ducks.

These are my ducks - which I love - but they really only lay eggs from Feb to the moult, whereas a good commercial Khaki should be more productive.  Mine don't need a pond, but they do enjoy one

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:44:30 pm »
They're lovely DBeggs, I love ducks.  We have Muscovy and they roost like hens but not with the hens - we do have one very old Muscovy female who gets way overly protective about her eggs and killed a hen last year for going near her nest, but usually they all live happily ever after.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 01:00:42 pm »
My sister keeps ducks and chickens. The ducks were hatched by one of her broody hens and her OH built a wonderful duck house for them to live in. Shame they never used it  ::) . Went to bed at the same time as the hens and all lived together quite happily and couldn't be persuaded to use their separate house.

Only problem being that ducks were very mucky and so sister cleaned out the house every morning to make sure it stayed clean and dry enough for her hens ..... she is very fussy about her animals so a little less cleaning may have been okay.  ;) ;D

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 01:05:46 pm »
thanks i cant wait to build my pen now how big a pond do they need a have a 2x3ft pond that is 2 foot deep but i was worried the chickens would drown in it

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:47:23 pm »
My chickens and ducks live happily together but do not share a house at night. The ducks tend to be boss of the chickens and will chase them away from the food. They range over half an acre. Not sure I would ever pen them up together in a smaller space, as I have had the odd scuffle between drakes and cockerels. The cockerel is usually submissive to the drakes but on the rare occasion he stands his ground, I think it could get nasty if the drake could not flee.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:14:50 pm »
They will make the pond very dirty, so try to arrange it so you can up-end it from time to time and give a good wash out then refill with clean water.  They generally won't spend that much time swimming but a good splash followed by some preening and lying around, and of course they prefer it for mating, but unless you choose a large heavy breed it is not strictly necessary.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 04:43:31 pm »
Ducks have a great life don't they  ;D , lounging by the pool, go in for a dip, snack, lounge by the pool, bit of a walk, snack. in for a dip ........ actually our dog has chased a couple of our hens across our very big pond - they just swam/skimmed/kind of flew across the top to the other side (which is about 15m away) clucking mad all the way, ducks laughing in the background  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 06:53:29 pm »
My chooks and ducks live in the same house and run and pond,the chooks stand on the edge and drink from it even though they have their own water... They share waters and feeders
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:56:05 pm by Carl f k »

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 06:58:51 pm »
My chooks and ducks live in the same house and run and pond,the chooks stand on the edge and drink from it even though they have their own water... They share waters and feeders

Ducks live on the bottom and chooks on top.. Had to teach them to climb the ladder but only took a couple of days

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 08:03:05 pm »
Mine are all in together, along with a pair of geese as well although they do free range when I'm around. The cockerel has got a bit too cocky recently and I've seen him chasing both a duck and the goose (I was really quite surprised the gander didn't step into that one - he's no shrinking violet) but hopefully these are limited incidents.

As the others have said, ponds can get very mucky so it's not necessarily the best solution. We've got a much bigger run - 10m by 25m and I think the bottom third is currently mud - waiting to see whether the grass will come back. I had a big dog bath in the run originally - big enough for the geese to get in and wash properly. It also meant I could empty it out and clean it thoroughly which I did once a week. When winter hit properly, I moved it out so I can move it round the field and they have access to it while free ranging and in the run they just have a trug and washing up bowl - enough to have a preen but not enough to swim in. They seem OK with that but the chickens do like to have some dry space (although they seem to spend quite a lot of time in the goose shed which is big, airy and dry!).

H

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 10:26:45 pm »
Without wishing to offend any one the only time i would put ducks :&> and chickens  :chook: together is in a stir fry! :stir: :hungry:

Chickens dont like the mud and wet that ducks cause

and ducks don't like the mites  / lice that less tighter feathered chickens
have
BL

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:08 pm »
My muscovy ducks and all my chooks mooch around together although the chooks go in their own houses at night the ducks prefer to stay outside in the main pen. One of my muscovy ducks always flies out first thing and I expect she will get eaten one day by Mr. Fox but I can never catch her to clip her wing. The turkey also prefers to stay out at night and roosts on one of the inner gates. He's a bit daft.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS