Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Potatoes in tyres  (Read 5405 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
. Potatoes in tyres
« on: February 21, 2013, 07:06:22 pm »
I have grown spuds in tyres before , and yes they grow , but why bother ?  Just to grow enough spuds for myself i would need more tyres than dunlop has .
All that tyre moving , filling , stacking , watering , piles of poxy tyres everywhere  , why ?
If you are growing half a dozen spuds , then fair enough , but forget it if you are growing a whole years spuds .
Like raised beds , this is another 'new way' to grow veg .
If you have wet ground , drain it !
 If you are unable to dig due to disability , how on earth is humping fecking great tyres about easier ?
 , i have a back problem so i do know what i am on about here .
I would be interested to know about chemical leach from tyres too !
No , i am sorry i do not see any benefits in this idea at all .
It isn't new either , i tried it 30+ years ago . More work than digging and growing in the ground .
 For those that want to turn their garden , allotment into a tyre dump , go ahead , but i will stick to growing in the ground .
Oh and tyre is spelt with a Y in the uk !
Can you guess , i am in a bad mood today ? The reason being , i did my back in , shifting feckin tyres ! Other peoples crap dumped on my land .
Be that as it may though ,  grow 300 potato plants in tyres  , and then tell me how much work it saves and how easy it is .
 No good arguing the point with me on this , as i have the hump , and i will just tell you to stick your head up your arse and feckoff ;-)
if my comments have offended anyone , tuff , lifes a bitch and then you die , get over it , ner .

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: . Potatoes in tyres
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:42:16 pm »
Poor Russ, you are in a grump today.  Hope your back is better tomorrow.   :hug:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:56:10 pm »
Lol , yes it's ok now thanks Lesley . But tyre is still spelt with a Y !

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 05:57:48 am »
hahahaha grumpy arse!! ::) :-*  still think you are wrong though!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:54:34 am »
Don't chuck those tyres away Russ. I'll have em for me tatties  ;)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 05:48:21 pm »
Glad you're feeling better and I agree with your spelling of tyre.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 06:09:18 pm »
I bet you are tyred of telling people to spell it with a y - and another problem with tyres its so hard to get the tetties out of the inside of the tyre!!

Ian

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 08:11:49 pm »
I also wonder what people fill them with... If I need to dig up the soil from my garden to fill the tyres, then I won't have anything left to grow other veg in.  ??? Buying all that compost? That makes growing tatties unaffordable.

Saying that, I am about to build a tyre "feature"  8) in one corner of my garden. For whatever reason that corner is down to gravel. I can't be bothered to dig it all up - hoping to get a shed for that corner in the long run, anyway - so for now I will pile up tyres on the gravel to varying heights and fill them with veg and herbs. (Oh, and I think I can get a few bags of daggings to at least half fill them with - only compost on top.)

(And Russ - it's good to let it all out  ;D - hope you feel better now!)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:32:59 pm »
Lol, i'll get arrested if i let it all out in public , ( not that there's much to let out anyway ! ) , but yes , i feel better now .
Throwing a wobbly now and then does no harm , and my wobblies are here and gone in no time , must pick another pet hate ready for my next wobbly !

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 01:37:53 am »
i used both spellings of tire/tyre as i was in a rush and i understand tyres can be a risk but they give good results for any root veg not just potato's plus soil can be collected free from building sites farms and stables not to mention your local council and Russ not that it wasn't interesting to read opinions are like arse holes everyone has one and they all stink at some point

i also have back  problems the tyres help so i don't have to work at ground level they work like raised beds also use old bathroom stuff like sinks and baths for the same job
 :excited: :huff: :wave:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 06:53:41 pm »
Lol , yeah , we all have opinions , some right , some wrong .
I am lucky in as much as i only have right ones ! lol .
 As for tyres though , if people want to use them then that's fine . I just don't see any advantage .
The chemical leach may be a problem , the tyre itself is a hazzard waste problem , hence the disposal charge . Then there is the collection , moving , filling and emptying , how is that easier ?
As i say , i have a bad back , broke my neck and back in car smash , and i found it easier to grow spuds in the ground .
I wouldn't use soil from building sites either . No way of knowing what is in the soil , either pollution or pests , plus the cost of moving it and shifting it with a bad back ? Yeah , this gets easier by the minute lol .
Each to their own i suppose , but i will leave it to others to grow their food in a chemical waste dump and live  amongst land fill . I prefer my food to be grown in clean soil , free of poison , as much as i can anyway, i can't control what comes out of the sky in rain .
We all do what we want though and i wish you well in your growing . Please read the above with a smile and a light heart , it isn't intended as an attack on what you do , i just don't agree with you .
Mind you don't slip a disc shifting those f ecking tyres ! lol .

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 07:02:53 pm »
 :roflanim: love reading your posts..brightens up the day :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 11:07:13 pm »
Ditto.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 08:51:47 am »
If you like the idea of TYREs for tatties they sell bags esp for the perpose. better to look at and easier to work. The only reason I can see to use tyres is because you (or others) have a load that need dumping.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 10:40:17 am »
I use tyres in school settings because it shows them that they can grow something on their tarmac (there are a shocking number of settings with NO green space) without spending money (other than some bags of compost)  - quite often they get hung up on the idea that they would have to spend ££££ on having raised beds put in.  Its a joy to drop into my local tyre place, pick up some tyres and get them gardening  ;D

I would love to know what the uptake of tyre 'toxins' is in the potato (have been unable to find) , but as each child eats  1 potato or less from the project (we alsways harvest and cook them up outside - magic) I have decided benefits outweigh risks.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS