Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP!!! Small severely rutted paddocks on a steep slope in need of treatment!!  (Read 3561 times)

Matthew

• Joined Mar 2013
HI all!

We are desperatley in need of some help and advice!

We bought some land with stables etc 18months ago and within teh last year have put horses in the paddocks.

The problem is that as a result of the exceptionally poor weather and soil (heavy clay), the paddocks are extremely and severly potholed/rutted and virtuyally all the grass is gone.

We got someone out to have a look at the paddocks who had a big tractor however there is insufficient access between the 2 paddocks to get a big tractor in to harrow, roll and seed them.  Speaking to A.N.Other, whilst there is space to get a small tractor in he was concerned owing to teh steepneess of the slope whether he would be able to take a roller down to the bottom of the paddocks and back up again!

We just dont' know what to do to sort the paddocks out but they desperatley need to be levelled and reseeded somehow!!!

If anyone can help or give us some advice it would be very much appreciated!!  We just dont; know what we can do!!

Thank you!!!!!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Could you find someone with an alpine tractor or one with tracks rather than wheels? Or could sheep help tread out all the ruts?

Take care with the reseeding, v easy for it to be too rich for horses (I'm sure you're well on that already)

old dad

• Joined May 2010
hi what is your location, someone on here might be close and point you in the right direction. what is the size of the access? how much work would it be make access wide enough for tractors and then you won't have the same problem next year. good luck

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
I have very steep land and have an Alpine tractor although a decent small 4x4 tractor or better still one with dual wheels could probably do it at certain times of year.

The secret to this type of land is working it when weather conditions are right. You don't want to be on it when it is wet (green ice!) as it can be very dangerous. If its not too bad you could probably pull it about with a nice heavy set of chain harrows (light ones roll down the hill behind you!), seed it by hand or preferably with an old fashioned seed fiddle, then harrow it in again. Find someone who is used to using a tractor on this type of land.

When working heavy clay it needs to be caught exactly right; too wet and it compacts - too dry and it won't break up. Timing is everything.

Here's me and my Alpine Tractor (on some flatish land)

http://lizburton.co.uk/wordpress/alpine-tractor/ino-flail-mower-arrives/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS