Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to do with old round bales?  (Read 11506 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
what to do with old round bales?
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:13:58 pm »
Hi - not sure where to post this!  We have five old wrapped round bales, (hay made in 2010 which got rained on so we wrapped it).  The sheep didn't much like it the first year so we didn't feed it again as we had plenty of small bale "proper" hay. Now we need to get rid of it and don't know what to do with it!  Any ideas?  We don't have anywhere where we could unwrap it and dump it to rot (well nowhere easily accessible in these wet conditions.)  OH has offered to build a new goat shed where these bales are so I'm anxious for a solution :-)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: what to do with old round bales?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:42:15 pm »
I would use them as a windbreak for our sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 11:52:58 pm »
 :thumbsup: the windbreak idea.  They don't really rot, and if they do, they wreck the soil structure for years to come  :o.  They don't burn.... There's a farm near Allendale has made a 'silageman' at their entrance, always makes me smile :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:40:47 am »
Use as bedding instead of straw....at least when its full of poo it will rot

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 04:26:57 pm »
The people we used to let  some of our land to left half a big bale of hay behing about three years ago. It's taken until now to mostly rot away.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 06:22:48 pm »
Are they wet through?
If so stick a couple of marrow seeds in the top of each one and water them with nettle/poo tea.
I have seen marrows grown inside old soggy yellow pages, surely they would do ok on moist bales?
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:28:33 pm »
Genius colliewoman!  I hadn't thought of that, but it reminded me - can't you wee on them and then after a season of weeing, break them open and it will all be rotted?  Seem to remember seeing this done on straw - must be the same?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 06:35:49 pm »
First climb your bale then balance :-DD

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:27:12 pm »
Use as bedding instead of straw....at least when its full of poo it will rot
Sorry but I don't think this is a good idea.  Old silage can be full of toxins, so if they nibble at their bedding you could give them listeriosis...  When feeding silage in passages to cattle, one is always warned to be sure to scrape out the leftover old stuff before putting in a new bale, as the old stuff can become toxic.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 10:05:47 pm »
can't you wee on them and then after a season of weeing, break them open and it will all be rotted? 

Well I know I learned to pee standing up but still I reckon you are a bit far for me to manage that.

Oh, you meant pee on them yourself didn't you?

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Hay doesn't break down the same as straw, and I don't think pee would do the same job personally. But you would have a spectacularly grim mess to clear up if it doesn't work  :tired: :tired: ;D

We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 01:06:34 pm »
thank you for all your barking suggestions!!  In order to move them we would have to spike them - so that would mean they would start to rot with the the listeria problem.  I wonder if the local tip would take them if we could get them there.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 01:20:58 pm »
I composted mine but I only had one large square bale. It took ages to get it all on the heap - I just layered a bit each time I had some brown and now you'd never know I'd ever put it on there it's broken down so fast
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 10:20:57 am »
Actually, breaking the plastic once the bales have fermented won't cause listeria.  If you spike the bales within the first few months then yes, you would expect problems, but bales broken into after that time are usually ok.  If you are worried you can always stick a 'JAFpatch' over the hole once you've moved them with the spike.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 12:29:43 pm »
Is there anywhere where you would like to plant some trees or hedging. If so open up the bales and lay it out at least a foot thick on the ground to smother the grass/weeds. Keep topping up and then next year you have the perfect spot for planting. By then a lot of it will have rotted and it is actually very good for the soil.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS