Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how many weeks to kill weight???  (Read 2910 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
how many weeks to kill weight???
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:19:32 pm »
hay all I'm just looking for some pointers and opinions. I'm going to be raising 8 pigs this summer 2GOS 2BERK 2OSB 2SB my plan is to take 4 to pork weight and four to bacon weight I understand pork weight is 65-75kg liveweight and bacon is 80=90kg liveweight right???

so what pig in your opinions from the pigs I'm keeping which breeds  should i take to pork and which to bacon?
also on average how many weeks does it take to achieve theres weights?

thank you everyone  :wave:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: how many weeks to kill weight???
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:31 pm »
It will depend more on your feeding regime than a set amount of time. Also the condition of the pig is more important than just weight. You could have a pig that weight say 75kg but is too fat and another of the same weight that's too lean. Or two pigs weighing in at say 70kg and 90kg but the only real difference is the amount of fat they're carrying.  The "pork weight" and "bacon weight" thing is really just a guide used by butchers, based on the fact that certain cuts of meat are better from a smaller pig and others from a larger pig, but that doesn't mean you can't make bacon from a smaller pig or have pork from a larger pig.

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:16:37 am »
Just to say I will be feeding bocm sow and weener nuts twice a day they will also be feed from a tough They will be on. A 150ft by 100 paddock with a small wood.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 07:19:29 am »
Rough time is 5.5 months to 12 months and you need to include what hughsey says, I've grown to cutter weight and then have slightly shorter bacon at 8 months old. Also don't forget male female makes a difference to taste after maturity and growing speed/ size.   And are all these pigs for your own consumption?

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:55:43 am »
I'd say Berkshire definately for pork, they're a smaller breed and would take a longer time to reach bacon weight than the rest.
I usually aim for around 80Kg liveweight for pork (you'll get approx 40kg of meat) and around 100Kg plus for bacon - but as hughesy says you can make great bacon from smaller pigs, the eye of the bacon is just smaller. Check with the abbatoir your going to use and see if they have any weight restrictions for pigs (some only do up to 85kg)
If you're feeding 1lb of food per month of age (per pig per day, split into 2 feeds) then your porkers will be ready to go around 6 months old and the baconers around 8-10. If you're giving less pig nuts and more fruit & veg then they might take a bit longer.
The only issue I see is with the size of their pen - it's just over a third of an acre  :thinking: We've only ever raised a maximum of 3 pigs to pork weight on this kind of area. You might find that the ground becomes very wet and muddy, especially with 8 and taking some on to a bigger size. Do you have another area you can move them to if this happens ? If not, I'd be tempted to start with less pigs 'til you see how it goes.
HTH
Karen

Keninkent

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:23:47 pm »
I, of little experience, have to agree with happy hippy. The area appears rather limited. I am getting two weaners next month, one GOS and one Tam and as it is my first go I downsized from four weaners partly due to predicted damage to the land. We hope to raise two on two quarter acre paddocks rotating once the ground gts mowed through. Given that pigs don't like to be alone we will slaughter then at the same time.

K

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 06:19:28 am »
Ive just sold my Berks as was advised that they have too much fat to meat ratio for current taste in pork.

Im now concentrating on Lops as they are bigger pigs overall and eat the same as berks for a bigger kill weight

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS