Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barley  (Read 2169 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Barley
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:39:22 pm »
Quick query, my daft supplier has given me flaked barley instead of maize ::)  is this OK for my sheep and goats? I generally mix the maize with the crunch.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Barley
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:46:06 pm »
Would you be able to send it back if you are not happy with it? Otherwise it should be ok, however you'll have to change quantities because barley has more fibre/less starch than maize (= a bit less energy). Sorry I can't be more precise but I'd say you need to put a bit more of it (maybe 10-20% extra?). I'm sure I will be corrected soon if I'm totally wrong.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:22:52 pm »
It's ok to feed them it though Chris, they won't explode or anything  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:36:22 pm »
Have I got your word on that goosepimple :-J
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:42:44 am »
....unless they eat the whole bag in a one-er  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS