Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bad Squirrel  (Read 3332 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Bad Squirrel
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:28:37 pm »
I usually have nothing against them ..... BUT ..... we have a really aggressive one here at the moment.

Ventured out into the sunshine yesterday to throw out a few handfuls of corn for the chickens. As I walked away the girls started to make a real fuss, thought a bird of prey must be overhead, turned to see squirrel hanging onto one of the Rhodies backs.  :o  Jumped from one hen to another and was in no hurry to scamper off even when I shouted and chased.

Never seen them attack the hens before.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Bad Squirrel
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 01:49:06 pm »
 :o  never seen that either but i know they are tough cookies.....they also have needle sharpe claws...poor girls.......not sure they would be able to lift a hen but certainly hurt one.........I used to smile at squirrals running out of my neighbours green house carrying tomatoes up the tree.......well I never????

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:50 pm »
Just shoot it.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:07:56 pm »
 :(  I agree, the sooner it goes the better before it shows others it's antics.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:18:36 pm »
Roast squirrel?  Squirrel pie?  Assuming it's a grey, I agree that the only cure will be to get the gun out.  Normally I'm not very bloodthirsty, but if it was my hens being attacked I know who I'd vote for.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:39:17 pm »
You need to be sure it's a grey before you get rid - I've seen a red that had a grey overlay and a grey with  a reddish tail - and now there are blacks in both being seen in fairly large numbers
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:56:39 pm »
Leave the poor thing alone. It's been a tough winter with a struggle for food.
Maybe take out more corn, enough to go round. Animals rarely behave badly unless they're desperate.
We just accept that our chicken food feeds squirrels, the entire crow population and everything else besides ...x

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:02:09 pm »
Can I send you our crow's and other pests and vermin to feed please

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 10:08:00 pm »
No thanks x
We have enough!
I wasn't being flippant, sorry. If my hens were being attacked I'd be distraught. But I'd assume it was for food.
We tried also all sorts of things to deter the crows but it didn't work.
I couldn't shoot them though xxxx

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:22:17 pm »
Sorry a memory triggered by that just had me laughing out loud.  I once had a neighbour who shot the crows who were stealing their hen food.  Just down the lane another neighbour (Toonsers is what we call them up in Aberdeenshire  :innocent:) were feeding the same crow family.  Constant glowering at each other was maintained to the day I left.  Then when I applied for planning for my remaining piece of land, the Toonsers managed to spot a squirrel in my trees - only one  ::) - .............  and a badger set (it was an old fox hole), only one  :innocent:........... and a few bats (they hadn't realised that they were pipistrelles and living in my loft so we knew about them and they weren't anywhere near the plot, and there were at least 50  :excited: :excited:)  ..................  three environmental and one arboreal survey later and £3000 I finally got the PP.  They are still feeding the crows, and my friends are still shooting them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS