Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Identifying a Bird  (Read 5273 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Identifying a Bird
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:32:22 pm »
The cat has just brought in a bird (unfortunately dead) that I've never seen before so I'm wondering whether anybody can help me! I thought it might be a Nightjar - it looks very similar - but reading up on that, they seem to only return from Africa around May time so clearly not that. Size wise it's medium - bit bigger than a blackbird - feathers are very pretty, barred brown/black with a creamy white throat and a little white patch towards each wing tip. Short tail. It felt quite heavy for it's size so it could be a ground dweller - not quite the feather light birds they normally bring in - but not the rounded shape of a partridge or similar. It was brought in after dark so I'm guessing it's something that's out and about at night.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hester

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Identifying a Bird
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:30:46 pm »
Is it too late/too sick to ask for a photo?
Also where do you live (ish) coastal? woodland? heath?
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:36 pm »
I (sicklyish) do have a photo but I've yet to download it - will try and do it tomorrow. I'm in the far South East in farming type countryside - just on the escarpment of the 'North Downs' (which aren't really North of anywhere except the South coast). Chalk, about 10 miles to the coast, fairly open but with hedges and bits of woodland around and about (and trees in the garden etc.). Any help?

H

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:08:48 am »
Need a pic.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:05:32 pm »
OK, let's see if this works:

Can you see those? Not much indication of size but bigger than a blackbird, smaller than a pigeon - probably about the size of a fat thrush.

Any ideas? I've been all through the bird book and am completely stumped. Clearly not a Nightjar because of the legs - at a loss!

Edited to add: I need to resize the image - the first one is supposed to be a full body shot but will come back to it later. Hopefully somebody will recognise it in the meantime anyway.

Thanks,

Hester
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:07:15 pm by HesterF »

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 07:15:30 pm »
looks like a japanese quail

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 07:33:49 pm »
 :o  Do you know when I read your first description I was going to jokingly say has puss caught someones quail.

Yep ...... a japanese quail. Dark coloured one and not the wild type.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 08:02:37 pm »
Oh no! He brought in a goldfish last year.....never did find out whose that was (it was midwinter in Switzerland so I had visions of him prancing into somebody's house and stealing it out of a tank). Now I have no idea who has quail around here - our neighbours had some but the little type (much smaller than this one, I guess the native ones?) and they were all caged with only one left anyway. Any chance some could have gone native or would they not survive in this climate? Better ask around, I guess.

Thanks for the help - no wonder I didn't find it in a native British bird book!

H

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »
I had a real hunting type cat years ago.  He bought in a brace of gutted rabbits, and 7lbs of frozen cod fillets  :o   Though not the same day.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:43 pm »
 :roflanim: That is brilliant! Have you ever read the kid's book Slinky Malinki? All about a cat who steals all sorts at night & eventually has to be kept in. Not sure I could manage to contain either of my cats at night - the yowling we'd have would drive me crazy - but at least it's normally rabbits and rats they bring in (although I would be happier if they left them outside somewhere).

H

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:07 pm »
Think your neighbours might have none left now.

Smaller than Japanese are Chinese Painted Quail.

I think a few wild quail might spend the summer in the south of England but seem to remember that they are migratory so not here now. They wouldn't be the colour of this one though I don't think.

Not sure if japanese quail would survive a winter living wild  ??? . Especially if your mog is out hunting  ;D

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 09:25:13 pm »
Neighbour's definitely looked different - they were tiny little things with grey fronts so maybe the Chinese ones? And well protected in a rabbit cage. This has made me glad I chose a big variety of chicken - I don't think bantams would stand much chance (and I will have to keep chicks, ducklings and goslings well protected),

H

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 10:15:11 am »
Yes, they sound like the Chinese quail.

We have a cat that will bring back rabbits but is fine with bantams and chicks. Yours wouldn't necessarily take those. Our mog seems to know that they are part of the crew.

Our quail are safe in their pen but I have no doubt that she would catch them if she could. There is something about their movements that even attract our retriever who takes no notice at all of hens, chicks or sheep. And as for the collie pup, she thinks they are fab.  :o ::)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 08:26:22 pm »

We have a cat that will bring back rabbits but is fine with bantams and chicks. Yours wouldn't necessarily take those. Our mog seems to know that they are part of the crew.

Our three   :cat: :cat: :cat: are the same.  Never touch any of the chickens or bantams but will take down a pigeon or rabbit.  How do they know?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS