Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: heptovac p close to lambing  (Read 2584 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
heptovac p close to lambing
« on: February 19, 2013, 02:34:54 pm »
Hi there, we jabbed our ladies 4 weeks ago and we're about to do the second booster. BUT I think we got our dates wrong as one ewe is huge, bagged up and getting very pink around the back end. Should I vaccinate as normal this week or will it do more harm than good this close to lambing?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: heptovac p close to lambing
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:58:52 pm »
When did you think they were due to lamb?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:11:13 pm »
I thought that as lambs they received two injections - for initial cover.

As in-lamb ewes (already in the system) I thought they were only given one injection (a booster) 4-6 weeks before lambing.   ???  If that is the case you are done aren't you? Or am I confused ?

Sure an expert will be along soon. Maybe I did it wrong  :o  last year.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:43:42 pm »
In the hills - yes, you would usually give the initial two injections when they are lambs.  And then an annual booster pre-lambing.  However, if for whatever reason they didn't get the two initial ones back then, then you might consider doing the two pre-lambing, which I assume is what plt102 is doing.
Personally I would avoid doing it this way though, as I think the stress on the animal is greater when giving the initial course of injections.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 08:35:34 pm »
Fab. Thanks. In which case they were done 4 weeks ago and I'll not do it again and I can save the bottle for the lambs shots. All the ewe lambs had 2 shots last year so I should be good. Must have got confused.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 08:36:42 pm »
Big relief.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:59:32 pm »
It doesn't harm the ewes to vaccinate close to lambing but the newborn lambs won't get the same protection in the colostrum. If you did double last year then only a booster is needed this year, so sounds like you've got it spot on  :thumbsup:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:56 pm »
Don't want to bring up an old discussion, but I didn't think you could save heptavac for any period of time?
( if you are saving it for the lambs)
J xxx

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:18:06 am »
Its a fresh bottle so no problem there. She just delivered 2 lambs! Seems to be doing well so I'll leave her to dry them off and then go check on her. She chose a muddy corner of field so I put some straw around her to get the lambs off the ground but I'll leave be for an hour to let them bond. So pleased as we got singles last year. Fingers crossed for the littl uns as its quite cold today. Typical as there is a nice warm stable for them to use but they always lamb outside x

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:36:17 pm »
my vet said strictly speaking you should discard after use. However if you use one needle in the bottle and change the syringe on the needle (rather than going back in the bottle with the needle that's been in the ewe) then you should be able to use the same bottle post lambing as you used pre. Keep it in the firdge though

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS