Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: anxious townies run amok in Norfolk  (Read 3404 times)

campanula

• Joined Feb 2013
anxious townies run amok in Norfolk
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:11:39 pm »
Hi
with a small inheritance, we bought a little poplar plantation and a horsebox yes, I fear I detect smirks). Previously, have had a couple of allotments for last decade but greedy developers are circling and it is a site in the very centre of Cambridge so.......days are numbered.
Since life without plants is no life at all, and Mr.Campanula has always been a builder and carpenter, and I have three children, none of whom will EVER be able to afford to live in Cambridge......buying a patch of unloved derelict poplar seemed like a good idea. Not that we expect to ever get planning permission (it is right in the broads, practically on top of the Yare) but it is a heartbreakingly beautiful location, the soil is deep and friable, the trees are basically a bit rubbish so no anxieties about felling (we want to actually regenerate a native stand of trees and woodland garden). So, here we are in February, doing up the horsebox and dreaming of wild camping in the woods (well, I am sowing seeds like a maniac).
So, what to do now. Reading up on farming lingo.....gulp. Obviously, we have to start somewhere, even if we just stay in our council house (with impending bedroom tax) and spend as much time as possible in Norfolk. Our daughter, currently at UEA in Norwich, has a dream of getting us all up there, including my other 2 (in houseboats?)
Our only animal experience has been chickens on the allotment and frankly, I would as soon stick to gardening and forestry (the boys have their pole lathes and chisels....I have my trowel).

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: anxious townies run amok in Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:05 pm »
 :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: wowowowoo....no advice just enjoy..........I doubt many people will be able to buy a  house in the future, I am old enough to remember houses were cheap as chips :innocent: so our mortgage is cheaper than most rents.......my children are also lucky....anyway......I too would want to spend as much time on your plantation as poss.....can you build any form of shelter? shed etc? and I gather its acessable to the road? if yes then I guess  your horse box is going to become your home, how romantic.....good luck and hope some other posts help...we all have to start somewhere!!!

P.S  not sure if its even viable but a lot of people are planting Willow for renewable energy, they are cropped every 3 years..if I had some land thats what I would plant...then either sell on the wood or use it!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:40:47 pm »
One way to find others in your area doing similar is to join ]WWOOF

What an adventure you are embarking upon!  Do keep us posted on how you get on.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:07:01 pm »
Sounds great!  No smirking from this end either, just best wishes for your adventure. Do keep us posted!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 01:37:55 pm »
If you'd like to see a smallholding in action, feel free to come out to us one day at our community farm about ten miles north of Cambridge, http://www.hempsalsfarm.com We've only been going for a couple of years so still lots to do but you'll find a welcome and a cuppa here!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 01:45:29 pm »
Hi there and welcome.  :wave:   It sounds like you are in for a lovely and interesting time.

You might want to check out something like this

http://permaculturenews.org/2012/01/04/hugelkultur-composting-whole-trees-with-ease/

If I was starting again I would quite fancy trying something along those lines.  Good luck with everything anyway  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:14:28 pm »
Are you doing up your horsebox to live in??? Excellent!

All the best people live in horseboxes  :innocent: ;D ;D ;D

When you think you have waterproofed the sides, do them again and fix some chains to the ramp to hold it horizontally to give yourself an instant sun lounge for the summer :D :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

campanula

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:30:46 pm »
Well hey, Bankt - 'in action' - you don't say! On a more dynamic planet than me, I am afraid....After too many years of being mum, I definitely am not considering livestock (yet) - although we do have one aging and beloved collie (they are top dogs, no question, Colliewoman). An impressive (and terrifying ) work rate going on at Hempsal - must pressgang children's mates (young, easily bribed, obedient(ish), fit).
Yeah, living in the horsebox looms likely (bedroom tax, hateful Tories, Cambridge going down the pan) and am trying to encompass this with equanimity. Not having to be responsible for offspring makes this more do-able and I think we can sidle into it over a couple of years - I used to fantasise about living in my allotment shed - I even read about one chap who had been doing just that (envy, sigh) - would have had a top class lottie, for sure. Daughter is living in Norwich, a cycle ride from our woods, so I can use her washing machine (my main source of anxiety). I think we just wanted one more adventure (the last of our children is about to leave home (finally) - 35 years of putting them first always and now we have some space and land and time for ourselves - we could just loaf around in the woods.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 10:04:58 pm »
Sounds heavenly  :thumbsup:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 10:12:10 pm »
Don't Worry. Lots of us were townies once. Doesn't mean to say that we don't have the wherewithal to be smallholders.

Would agree with the advice about WOOFF. Also do lots of reading.

Just follow your dreams. :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:20:49 pm »
 :wave: HI and welcome from sunny Shropshire.  I'm still a townie by habitation not choice but grow veg and fruit and have my goats all in the back garden.  What you're doing sounds great and I'm looking forward to hearing more.  When you say 'horse box' I'm guessing you don't mean one of the towable ones that hold two horses?

Ben, is your invitation to anyone?  We are spending a week in Cambridge in June (son is getting married there) and would love to meet some other TASers.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:03:49 am »
I have a yearning for a nice shed  :innocent:  I saw a camper van type horse box with a tiny little pot bellied stove and that was me in love with that idea........I think one of the hardest things when camping is no toilet...a wee is fine under a tree but to get comfy for any "reading the daily news" moments is not nice...we used to go off all the time in our VW and have to drive miles to find an open public toilet or one of those wonderful supermarket ones with hand dryers and hot water!!!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 01:32:25 pm »
It doesn't seem like I'm the only one to be VERY IMPRESSED by your new venture. No smirking here either. Well done for your brave move and masses of good luck to you.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 03:07:45 pm »
Welcome to TAS  :wave:

Good luck with your venture. I was born in London, husband in Worcester - I guess we are townies even if we grew  up in the countryside! I doubt you'll get any smirks here, everyone is really friendly and helpful and the few that are no can go on your 'ignore list' like I do  ;) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 04:00:00 pm »
@MGoM, yes offer open to all! PM me with dates and we'll sort something out. Would love to meet you and talk goats too!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS