Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Letting out woodland  (Read 2935 times)

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
Letting out woodland
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:18:04 pm »
we are planning on moving away from the area we are in, but are keeping hold of our 50 acres of woodland/ rough pasture.
we would like to rent it out medium term ie 5 yrs or so. i have never let or rented land before and im a bit worried someone may cut all the trees down in our absense. infact id quite like to come back once a yr to fell a few trees for our use etc.
the land would suit pigs, or native cattle, or out-wintering cattle, some paddocks would suit ponies. there are 3 stables also. but as it is rough pasture / woodland, as opposed to good grazing land - im not sure where or how to market it for rent.
iv also heard that you should only rent out for 10 mths of the year as otherwise you can get "sitting tenants" who can lay claim to your land - especially if they have spent money on improving it, ie drainage/fencing.

also how much would you charge for rent?

anyone any idea how to move forward. im thinking it would be available in 6 - 12mths time.
thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:21:09 pm by scarlettoara »

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Letting out woodland
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:40 pm »
question 1

where are you please :-)

cant answer your questions like the sound of the woodland though :-)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:27:49 pm »
The usual arrangement around here (Welsh Marches) is to let the land from 1st April to 31 October, as "grass keep", which means the person renting it can graze it or make hay or silage as he pleases.  You remain responsible for the upkeep of the fences and supply of water.  Local auction houses often administer and organise the whole thing for you (at a price, of course).  The Forestry Commission has to give permission for more than (I think) 5 cubic metres of woodland each year to be cleared and would only do that for the owner.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:35:12 pm »
I think that if you are to rent out the woodland then a clause of "use but not for profit" should be written into the contract. All my 3 neighbours rent out land and woods. There is only so much wood someone can cut and burn and 50 acres can support a lot of tennants. BUT if they profit from the woods by selling wood then all their profit should go to you and they should lose their tenancy.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:42:35 pm »
we are in north east scotland.

yes, you can cut less than 5 cubic metres every quarter without a license, and as some of our trees are only 20 yrs old, and therefore quite narrow trunkwise (its measured by the circumference of the trunk at chest height) it would be quite easy to take a fair few acres worth over a year.

its a shame to leave it empty though when someone could enjoy it. plus i think if land is left empty itl be abused and covered in litter which would upset me.
ref grazing lets - the grazing is very rough so meat sheep and cattle would not fatten enough, but native breeds are fine. it would suit pigs, or alternatively pheasant rearing etc. would auction houses market this sort of land do you think?

downtoearth

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Outskirts of Inverness
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 08:37:21 am »
When you say NE scotland, where abouts? I am near Inverness - the people on the islands consider us east! So, anywhere near here, or proper E in Aberdeen?!

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 12:57:33 pm »
aberdeenshire

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »
If you aren't staying in the area then get in touch with the local letting agents and let them handle it as they will then look after advertising, contracts and any eviction or putting to rights that needs done at the end of each season or let.  You will not begrudge the money if you get a smooth process and one person to do all the work for you.

Letting seasonally ensures different bids each year and the market rate in income, aswell as ensuring the land isn't damaged over winter by either livestock or things like 4x4/tractor access in bad weather/mud.  There would probably be greater demand for continuous use as it's sometimes hard to get somewhere just for winter and a hassle to move stock on and off, but you also get people starting to feel a sense of belonging which is nice until unfortnately sometimes it turns to a sense of entitlement and you want to sell or relet or return to your own land  ::)   You can also let parts separately - the woodland to pigs and the rough grazing to sheep, which may net more income than letting it as a whole and someone only having use for either or..

If you were near me and I was advising, I'd want the lot and on a 364 day basis with informal permission to stay over the one day but respecting that meant no long term tenancy rights.  I did actually have such an arrangement for 9 years and could have fought for the right to stay on but I have never worked that way and despite a mere 5-6 weeks notice I did shift everything, on New Year's Eve, in deep snow on a rough single track hill and with a friend driving a livestock lorry who couldn't help as he'd not long got out of hospital after a hip replacement - long enough to drive but not to load and handle young ponies!  One of the hardest and saddest days of my life but I'm afraid not everyone would go to the trouble of seeing you right so make it clean and in writing with an agent who can and will arrange, enforce if necessary, and probably know all the likely applicants and who to take on or not as a bonus feature of the service  ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS