Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hedging Waste  (Read 2753 times)

cwmearl

• Joined Aug 2012
Hedging Waste
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:29:55 pm »
As well as renovating the house on our smallholding I am battling with the hedges, which haven't seen any kind or care or maintenance in years. We're doing the best with what we have in terms of laying the hedge and have had quite a bit of fire wood from the surplus. However, I'm still left with a considerable amount of get rid of (a lot is from the area we had to clear just to be able to see the hedge!). I've been planning on burning it just to get rid of it, but is there anything useful I could do, was thinking of getting a chipper in, but they seem to cost a bit.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Hedging Waste
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:56:07 pm »
Hugelkultur bed(s)?

Essentially - bury the wood waste in trenches, overplant, enjoy!

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:16:42 pm »
kindling for the woodburner.

brushwood palisade; I needed a 'temporary' hedge in an area with japanese knotweed - no point in planting a real hedge as I'll probably be weedkilling the area again - and by pushing in cuttings from hedge trimming close together I made a nice looking, sheep resistant screen. was surprisingly quick to do too  8) ..

cwmearl

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:34:16 am »
Never heard of hugelkultur before, thanks for the idea. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS