Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hey there! New girl from Perthshire  (Read 7047 times)

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
Hey there! New girl from Perthshire
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:02:24 am »
Hi there!

I'm Clairie and I'm from Perthshire.

We've been farmers for a long time, but have recently started to diversify and are developing a farm shop.

In March we bought two sows, a pure Tamworth and a Berkshire x Saddleback who gave us 10 healthy little TamworthX piglets.  They'll be pork by September!  :yum:  Pigs are brilliant!  I could watch them all day.  :love: :love:

We've had chickens for our own use, but have been badgered by the local shops to give them eggs so have rehomed 20 exbattery hens (I've not fully explained their lower productivity to my husband!).  We'll probably have to supplement the old hens with some newer POLs.  We do like to rescue things...  :-[

I've just bought some Marsh Daisy and Scots Dumpy fertilised eggs on Ebay.  I'm quite keen on helping to keep up the numbers of some rare breeds, hence the Tamworth's too!

We've also just planted some carrots, neeps and leeks to sell with our local farm produce alongside the beef, lamb and tatties.

I've also got 6 horses -  :horse: mostly Appaloosas, and there are several other old limpy's retired on the farm.

We're loving all our new projects!  We've got a lot to learn are really enjoying ourselves.

I hope to learn a lot from you and hopefully chat to some like-minded people. 

Anyway!  Hi to you all!

Clairie x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hey there! New girl from Perthshire
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:07:02 am »
Goodness, you're a busy lady - welcome to the forum.  How big is your farm and what area in Perthshire?  I'm in Clackmannan - downsized to one acre from 10 in Aberdeenshire to be nearer my kids.  I only have ducks and chickens, but starting to grow veg this year as that was my late husband's job in the past, so very much a newbie on that.  I am horse daft but never seemed to have both the time and the money att eh same time for one of my own.
Enjoy the forum.  Great folk on here - I've made loads of friends in just a year.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 11:11:16 am »
hiya! let me know how scotch dumpys get on :chook:, im considering getting them for a friend!
welcome to the forums!
gem x
GEM. X

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:14:50 am »
Wow, so many projects. Be very interested to hear how they all go. Welcome aboard.  ;D

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:59:39 am »
Thanks guys!

Goodness, that's nothing for busy!  I also work full time and have part time jobs, am still involved in Young Farmers too.  Fortunately my husband does most of the farming (and fencing, and fixing sick stuff!  ;) ) Fortunately I love a project!  I'd love to give up work and just pootle about with the horses though...  ::)

Will certainly keep you updated on how everything does, including the Scots Dumpy's!  This is my first set that I've incubated (off to look for an incubator now...) but my Grampa's beside himself with excitement as he used to do a bit of hobby chicken breeding so I've got an expert on hand!

Must get some photos up of everyone at some point!  ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 12:58:05 pm »
hehe

sandy

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:49:08 pm »
Hello, good evening and welcome!........now I've heard that somewhere!! had 3 Black Rock Hens ad now added to them with 7 ex Battery Hens and 2 Aylesbury Ducks, there fun to watch!!!! Hope your farm shop takes off, I love things like that....I

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:09:57 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum - WOW you really are busy!  Whereabouts are you in Perthshire? I used to go to school near Dunkeld!  Good Luck with everything!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:11:11 pm »
Oh and doganjo where abouts in Aberdeenshire were you?  I was brought up just outside Dinnet and still go there every summer to see my Mum.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 12:24:39 am »
Hi MiriMaran
I lived in Aberdeen till the kids were away to college, then out past Ellon, then after I met my second husband we moved to just outside Old Rayne.  Dinnet is the posh side of Aberdeenshire ;D ;D ;D!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 12:12:28 pm »
We're in Errol, just between Perth and Dundee.

We're awaiting an exciting delivery today!  Hubby is off to pick up a Tamworth boar to romance the girlies for a few weeks! x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 01:18:03 pm »
Welcome from a tamworth lover. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 02:51:04 pm »
Hi and welcome from now cloudy Alloa

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 07:31:57 pm »
dead posh me doganjo!!! ;)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 12:01:28 pm »
Hi Clairie...welcome to the forum...my wife and I also have a small farm shop down here in Stafford; take a look at our website and if we can advise or help you with anything just let us know...best of luck

Farmer
 :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS