Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fencing  (Read 3505 times)

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
Electric fencing
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:44:22 pm »
Hello All,
I've just had someone have a thinly disguised moan at me about my electric fencing. 'I just don't want you to get in to any trouble if kiddies try and feed your sheep...' Actually turned out to mean their dog had taken a few shocks off the fence (12v batt.) My question is this, should I have 'danger live electric' signs up? My electric wire is behind a post and rail fence on private land that is running next to a road, so the dog has come across the verge, under the rail and got shocked while trying to go under. As the road is public but the field is private I thought I didn't have to put signs up. Am I mistaken?  :sheep:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:54:15 pm »
I would tell em to jog on personally >:( [size=78%]I have a sign on mine as I have a footpath run along the farthest edge of my field. I would also tell them that I would hate for a dog to get into trouble for worrying sheep so you chose the electric fence over the gun[/size] :rant: :rant: :rant:

I will openly admit that I am as territorial as on old goose and DETEST the fact that some people think it ok to do as they wish on YOUR land :rant:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:24:13 pm »
On the plus side, it stopped their dog bothering your sheep!

I'm with CW on this one!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:26:35 pm »
So am I.

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 08:48:56 pm »
Thanks for the replies  :) this is what I thought, and I did give him short shrift at the time. I just wondered legally where I stood. We've had trouble round here this year with dogs and teenagers chasing sheep. There is a footpath on the other field and that's kept electric free as it's in contact with a public right of way. Technically the road is a public right of way, being next to this field it's bordering on private land but not accessing it- so I thought I was fine if my electrics are behind the post and rail and not next to the road.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:52:00 pm »
Just spoke to my husband who works for nfu on the H&S side of things, he said "ooh tricky" but went on to say that it won't hurt as a courtesy thing to have one of the yellow signs (small plastic job with pic of someone being shocked) on the fence.
Ultimately though, people shouldnt' be trying to get into your field to chase your sheep nor should dogs!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:57:48 pm »
Thanks plumseverywhere that's great, good to have a little reassurance.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 09:03:30 pm »
If it were adjoining the right of way you would need legally to have one every 50m for stock fence or 10m for security fences. Since it is not, legally you shouldnt have to put them up however it might be useful to in order to discourage people trespassing!

I would put up a few and turn up the energiser ready for next time :-))) stupid man, he should be apologising for trespassing!

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 09:13:21 pm »
Well that's where my confusion arose, I suppose it is adjoining it, from right to left it's road, verge, post and rail, electrics on private land. So adjoining but no access, just adjoining in as much as it runs parallel for about 100m.
Sorely tempting Lachlanandmarcus, But can you imagine, I'll supercharge it and then some small child will run a scooter in to it and fry. Then I will be in trouble!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 09:53:32 pm »
If it is only accessible once someone has trespassed and it will be clear to them that they have trespassed (which a post and rail fence would be) then you don't have to put any up - adjoining means directly next to the row.

However since post and rail would still allow physical access to a 'non rational' trespasser (dog, child ie someone who couldnt be expected to appreciate the issue by looking at it)it would be worth sticking them up so that those who should be in control of such users of the row cannot say that they were unaware of the consequences of permitting the trespass.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 10:02:20 pm »
I agree with all that has been said ... if its not on a public right of way (which it isn't) you don't need any warning signs. I would be inclined to put a few signs up more as a deterrent to trespassers than anything else. By all means turn the fence up to its maximum!
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 10:18:33 pm »
Thanks all for the good sound advice, much appreciated.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS