Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ulcerated comb  (Read 2695 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Ulcerated comb
« on: February 16, 2013, 05:25:03 pm »
Our cockerel has a couple of "lesions" on his comb. They seem dry and blackish/grey with a slightly "punched-out" look to them. I can't really get close enough to describe it in any more detail. They've been there a while I think.  A couple of weeks ago I thought it was just spots of mud but this weekend I had a closer look as they hadn't gone away.

He seems otherwise well and the girls don't seem to be affected.

Any ideas?

I looked up online and could only find fowl pox. I guess it could be that but I'm not sure. All the birds in the fowl pox images look pretty ill.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:42:56 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Ulcerated comb
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 06:18:08 pm »
Has he been fighting or caught his comb on something like a hawthorn bush?  When in doubt I generally reach for the antibiotic spray first of all.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:47:50 pm »
Fowl pox is different Suziequeue. It appears as basically consumption of the comb by a fungal infection which is light grey/tan in colour. Don't want to be there!!!! Sounds like As MF describes -damage from a wild rose or blackberry. Leave it and monitor is my advice.

Notasausage

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:10:55 pm »
Could it be cold damage. Our leghorn seems to have a similar thing on het comb and that's what I'm putting it down to.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:34:02 am »
As MF.

If birds fight the comb looks as you describe so guessing some sort of damage.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:55:46 am »
Was wondering the same as notasausage. 2 of ours last year has black bits on their combs, looked like frostbite damage following a really bitter spell. Have put vaseline on this year (not sure if it works or not!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 09:40:06 am »
Vaseline does work but as I understand it the main problem is when the coop isn't well enough ventilated overnight, condensation builds up on the comb then freezes.  Cockerels affected often have rounded tops to the spikes on top of their combs, like the ends of daisy petals. 

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 09:57:33 am »
Well - we haven't done anything and kept an eye on it. Can't get close to put any cream on.

The lesions have remained pretty indolent on the whole. It's difficult to say for certain that it's improving but.....

He remains in robust health and a real darling.

Finally got some pics of him anyway.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 11:41:22 am »
Sometimes if a cockerel is good with his girls he will encourage them to stand close by lowering his body so his head is not much higher than theirs.  The hens will often start to pick at the males round their head and comb, which the males seem to enjoy.  If there was a little bit of damage the hens with their sharp eyes may be just stopping it from completely healing.  When they are standing round doing their own thing just quietly stand and watch them a bit to see if this may be what is happening.  He has a nice bright well coloured eye.  What colour egg was he hatched from?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 12:17:39 pm »
If I remember it was about a grade 4 Maran's egg colour.

I want to get really REALLY dark brown eggs hatched this year. We have just bought two Buff Orpingtons in the hope that they (or anybody for that matter!!!) will go broody at some point ........

.......but we are still in the process of getting the broody coops set up and running which has been slightly put back by the inclement weather.

Once we are good to go then we will start trying to encourage somebody to sit..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS