Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hay bags vs hay nets  (Read 9132 times)

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
hay bags vs hay nets
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:34:52 am »
i recently purchased a hay bag and to date ive found it far better than a hay net, ive had a lot of problems with hay nets esp with 1 of my mums goats getting tangled in them

what are your experiences with them?

mine were very suspicious at first but have adjusted.

gem x
GEM. X

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: hay bags vs hay nets
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:50:59 am »
I'm a bit ignorant.... whats a hay bag?
Ian

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:03:16 am »
Good morning  :)

I don't use any kind of hay bags or nets for my two mares.  Ive been told that its a lot better for them to eat hay, haylage etc off the floor of their stable or off the ground.  Apparently, its better because its the natural way, as when they are out grazing they put their heads down so I try and keep things as natural as possible for them.  Not too sure if it would be the same with goats though.

Weekend nearly here!  Although, we are spending it powerwashing and disinfecting our slatted unit (the big shed where you winter your cows & calves) don't think we will be heading out anywhere, will definitely smell of cow poo  ;D

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:08:37 am »
I feed my hay off the floor too... people rant that it's better to feed them on the floor for safety, straining necks etc, but to be honest I hate filling haynets and would have to fill about 3 each for my lot to get enough hay! They eat a lot of it and it keeps their weight on.

I only use a hay bag on my way to shows so that they don't get seeds in their plaits.  Unfortunately, when I get to the shows and tied them up outside they just eat out of the top of the bags and chuck the hay everywhere.... much nicer to fill than a haynet though!  ;)

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:58:03 am »
Weekend nearly here!  Although, we are spending it powerwashing and disinfecting our slatted unit (the big shed where you winter your cows & calves) don't think we will be heading out anywhere, will definitely smell of cow poo  ;D
ive spent plenty of time cleaning out slatted  sheds myself! its not as bad as spreading slurry though! takes me a couple of days to get rid of the smell entirely! do you use slat mats?
GEM. X

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 12:50:03 pm »
Hi CarraghsBorderCollies,

Will have to use a lot of perfume if the smell does not go  ;)

We have mats in the cubicle house thats attached onto the slatted unit but no mats there.  Not sure if OH is intending to do that but they seem to like the cubicle house, even the calves so not as much mucking out from their pens  ;D . Cant drive the tractor and wont either because my OH would have more for me to be doing around the farm!  And I definitely would not be able to drive in a straight line in the fields for spreading manure, rolling or topping.  Better off to stick at what I am good at!

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 02:16:38 pm »
wash with
Hi CarraghsBorderCollies,

Will have to use a lot of perfume if the smell does not go  ;)

try washing yourself with ketchup first! i kid you not! it gets rid of the worst of the smell then shower again immediately!
dont forget to wash behind your ears!
gem x
GEM. X

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 02:49:51 pm »
I thought you meant to put the ketchup on before we went out powerwashing!!  Ha Ha!  Will try it, one of the cows splattered me yesterday evening and while I was putting up dry cow tubes in her she whacked me in the face with her dirty tail! Think I be washing with ketchup from now on!  Cheers!

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 08:39:24 pm »
real butter is fantastic for getting paint off your hands as well, i didnt believe it until i tried it!
and we were painting metal sheeting!
GEM. X

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 07:19:44 pm »
I've not used hay bags at all, although they do seem useful to stop animals getting tangled. We generally always use hay racks now- even for shows. The double hay rack over a hurdle does well, although the goats are guilty of pulling it out of the top of the hay rack.

Beth
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:26:21 pm by ballingall »

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 01:11:51 pm »
For my ponies I have an old large tractor tyre in the field which I fill with hay. Its saves waste and as they cannot poo, roll or walk all over it I save quite a bit on wasted hay. In the past I have had ponies get a leg stuck in a hay net so I have corner hay mangers in the stables which work well. I have the small ones for haylage which have the smaller gaps. When feeding foals the hay goes on the floor. :horse:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 03:12:20 pm »
I only put hay in a net to weigh it (Smokey's always on a diet). I don't like using them in the stable - develops the wrong muscles in the neck  and seeds are more likley to fall into eyes. And the horse next to Smokey got his leg caught in his and hurt his leg quite badly.

The corner hay bars look good but are a terrible price.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS