Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 3 new girls turned up yesterday!  (Read 2129 times)

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
3 new girls turned up yesterday!
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:48:31 pm »
Just arrived up here in the highlands all the way from Durham of all places! they are settling in nicely considering we are first time keepers!!!!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: 3 new girls turned up yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:51:40 pm »
Pretty girls. Names then eggs. You will soon get Morehens disease -need more hens!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 07:14:39 pm »
Congratulations on entering the addictive world of poultry keeping  :chook:  :chook:  :chook:

You'll have fresh eggs before you know it and there's no better taste  :excited:

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:50:38 pm »
They are 17 weeks so maybe I have a couple of weeks to wait for eggs?!

The grey one is a bluebelle so that's her name, black one is a daisy and golden one is a gold star I think!!!
All huddled up in bed now but they need a bit of encouragement to come out in day and in at night I suppose they will get the hang of it eventually !

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:07:09 pm »
They are pretty girls  :love: I do like the look of bluebells, they seem a good chunky bird and recorded as good layers  :thumbsup: you should get plenty of eggs, especially the first year.
One of our hybrids hasnt stopped laying since we got her 2 years ago  :o

We are very inexperienced with only 2 years of hen keeping. Started with 4 hybrids from Durham. One is similar to a black rock. She has a gold neck and green sheen. All four took a couple of months of handling to settle down but she was wild until she started laying. She was also last to lay, at appx 32 weeks compared to 22 - 26 weeks for the others. Glad to say they all come running as soon as they see us now.

I read so much about keeping them beforehand but there's nothing quite like learning on the job. And so much fun with it.
Enjoy your girls and :fc: for early layers  ;D

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 09:21:39 pm »
Thanks all, mammyshaz, yours sound divine!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS