Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turning a Vehicle into a Coop?  (Read 5396 times)

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
Turning a Vehicle into a Coop?
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:59:20 pm »
This sort of ties in with another thread on here, but I thought it might be worth asking in a more specific part of the forum as well!
(The other thread is http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=31298.0)

I have an old Land Rover van that I could like to convert into a chicken coop.  Considering the build type of the vehicle I think it would help with the rodent issue (very sparse interior), would keep them dry and off the ground, and of course there is loads of space!

My concern is... Would it require planning permission?  Would it be considered acceptable on agricultural land?

Any pointers would be great!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Turning a Vehicle into a Coop?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:13:26 pm »
As  far as I know if it is movable ( still has wheels ) then no planning.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 03:18:31 pm »
That's the theory I was working on... It has wheels and rolls freely.  But will the council still class it as a vehicle?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:00:01 pm »
With the price of old landrovers even non runners you might be able to buy a fab chicken palace and Landy be restored by a buyer....

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »
True, but for the time-being I'd like to coop it... ;)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 06:16:25 pm »
We've used an old livestock trailer and various coops lashed together from a calf dehorning crate, dog kennel, fireguards, dog cage and, of course, the inevitable pallets, so a Landy sounds positively luxurious.  You'd need to leave the windows open at the top for ventilation - metal or plastic tends to create a lot of condensation.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 06:50:00 pm »
As MF. Lots of condensation and ventillation issues. Sell it and buy a proper coop.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:50:29 pm »
Yes condensation could be a problem. Landies tend to be very damp inside when parked up overnight even without chickens living in them. Also even old series Landies are full of nooks and crannies that will inevitably become full of chicken sh1t.  Sell it and build yourself a nice wooden coop with the proceeds would be my opinion. Or why not get an old caravan and strip out the interior.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 06:56:32 pm »
I was planning to replace the rear door with a custom jobbie... Entrance hatch and vents, also vents at the front will be open, and could mesh/vent over open windows if needed...

If at the end of the day it doesn't work, I'll change the plan.

But does everyone think it would be acceptable as far as the council is concerned?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 06:58:43 pm »
The council will only bother if someone complains. No-one has the budget nowadays to deal with trivia -and that's the way it should be!

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 07:38:20 pm »
Someone is likely to complain... A bloke wants to buy the land and will report me for whatever he can!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 10:22:07 pm »
Someone just along the road from us has done this on the grass verg  on the roadside  ::) They have even built a run on the back of it  :o
gawd knows how they have not been reported
Graham

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 11:46:35 pm »
I don't think you'd have problems with planning permission. We've had the planners round recently to look at our planning application (for the house and outbuildings) and they didn't blink at any of the poultry housing (decent sized chicken house, duck house and full size shed for the geese). We also asked about permission for field shelters in the future for sheep and they said no planning permission was required for movable, agricultural buildings (horses would be different though).

H

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 09:46:46 am »
Sell the Landie and buy an old shed from ebay ;) .  Easily converted to a hen house, then fix it to 4 small wheels (like sheep feeders).  Job done :thumbsup:

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 11:05:31 am »
For now the Landy is staying, if possible!

However that does bring me onto another question... I've got a 6ft x 8ft (I think) shed, waiting to be erected and converted to a coop.  If its just sat on sleepers (or some other base not requiring building), would it count as a movable animal house?  Technically 4 people can pick it up and move it....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS