Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Midges already :(  (Read 1302 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Midges already :(
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:16:20 pm »
Just about our best dry and sunny day for ages, and the midges are out in force!   :o   I am rather apprehensive about lambing this year and what will be produced, mine are due from 5 March.  The rams all went in at the same time, but some of the ewes don't look pregnant at all whereas others have bagged up and look almost ready!  The weather conditions have been awful and I have only one paddock which could feasibly take some of the sheep, the other which I would normally use is still sodden  :(  and the horses also have nowhere to go!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Midges already :(
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:32:40 am »
Our vets (Welsh Marches) have found later lambing flocks generally clear or SBV.  Earlier ones affected with up to 30% lamb losses.  Most apprehensive about Spring calving as the cows would have become pregnant around the same time as the early lambing ewes.  Still a lot to find out about SBV. 

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" is our motto, particularly this lambing time!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: Midges already :(
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:15:18 pm »
Yes, I've seen the midges about too. We don't get much respit from the little blighters do we!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS