Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calves from knackerman  (Read 12510 times)

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
Calves from knackerman
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:14:01 am »
I'm thinking of buying some very young calves from local farms/knackerman, bucket feeding them (2 to start with) then out to grass and slaughter at 6 months. Rose veal.

Ill buy in male calves.

Is this a viable option do you think?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Calves from knackerman
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:43:44 am »
Would they be intended for private sale/boxes or do you have an outlet for the meat? Only wondering as apart from rib roast and escalopes I wouldnt know what to do with all the other cuts from a veal animal.

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 07:45:22 am »
Its for me really but excess will be sold

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:45:53 am »
I have a sausage machine  ;)

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:06:02 am »
i used to buy rose veal mince at melton the stall in question seemed to sell it easy enough.

the downside with any small animal when it comes to slaughter is the charge is the same as a large finished animal as most slaughter houses go on headage.

its the same for us when we take our dexters in i could have one of dads simmis done for the same money but we all preffer the dexter beef so have to pay the money.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:17:20 am »
If you do try it, Jackie2, please do let us know how you get on. 

One day, one of my Jerseys is going to drop a Jersey bullock, and I'll definitely be wanting him for our own freezer.  If rose veal is a viable option it would save keeping him on to 18 months or more, and also probably mean I didn't have to buy a 3rd freezer!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:08 pm »
calves from knackerman, are  stone cold dead,

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »
Ill let you know how I get on with it :)

No Blegian he said he would supply me with live calves

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:45:37 pm »
Dairy bull calves are still being shot, so i can believe the knackerman can supply you.

Its well worth doing. it was the mainstay of my business for 7 years. we bought all the bull calves from2 dairy farms, at any one time we would have 60-80 ayshires on site. sometime jerseys and friesians.

get them to a decent size maybe 300kg liveweight, max. as previously said it costs the same to process a stirk as a big bullock, and keep them under 10 months old and balls on! otherwise they dont do the same.

as for cuts it endless. shoulder was as popular as loin. the french love the veal blanquet. osso bucco from the shin, calves liver. every type of steak just like beef.

i cannot understand why we dont eat more veal in this country its mad. we sold all we produced across farmers markets and resteraunts in scotland. but it took so much work!

well worth a try though. good luck

dominic

jacoblambuk

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 07:55:31 pm »
would the calfs be tagged if you get them from knackerman if the farmer shoots them they wouldnt be tagged

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 07:58:55 pm »
would the calfs be tagged if you get them from knackerman if the farmer shoots them they wouldnt be tagged

Legally (If I understand correctly) if it was born, it should be tagged.
Because we all tag and register our animals in the allocated timescale don't we? :innocent:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 08:29:19 pm »
the knackerman cannot supply un reg calves. i assume he just knows where he can get hold of them. you cannot move calves without tags and passport these days. you used to be able to move them with just a passport application but thats changed now.

i also think they have to be at least 7 days old now.

d

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 08:43:50 pm »
And no farmer will keep a calf, feeding it valuable milk, and wait for seven days for a passport, pay for tags and then have it shot  :-\
Knackerman will be collecting animals in a knacker wagon so can't transport live animals aswell.

Better approaching a dairy farmer direct, will cost you though as they will have to feed it while waiting for passport and tags, but still cheap in the grander scheme of things. £25 would probably buy you a dairy bull calf round here, maybe abit more. Milk powder isn't cheap, around £45, you'd want more than one calf at a time obviously so they'd get through the milk quicker and would need it for 8-10 weeks depending on how well they do. Starter pellets, hay...... Killing costs....Soon adds up  :innocent:
As someone else said, keep the horns and nuts on and they'll grow better.
Also check you actually like Rosé veal first!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 09:37:57 pm »
I was considering doing this last year but when we started looking we could not find any calfs available.
If anyone knows where I could get my hands on a couple in the north of england give me a shout
Graham

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 10:37:45 pm »
Graham, they sell hundreds of them every Wednesday morning at Carlisle mart.  Black & whites fetch up to £100, but you can pick up Jerseys and Ayrshires for tenners.  And I suspect that if you approached dairy farmers who breed their own Ayrshire or Jersey replacements, they would be happy to sell young bull calves to you direct from the farm - which avoids the risk of picking up infections at the mart.

BH used to buy in calves to rear on the bucket - beefy types, to be sold as stores, or females to be kept on as suckler cows.  He always says that anyone taking on young calves to rear on powdered milk is advised to get them at not less than one month old.  Younger than that and they are just too likely to scour or get other problems, and die.  Now that we rear bought-in calves on the Jerseys, we have found that we can buy them younger and they seem to be fine.

His other tip was to feed them only PSF (Pfizer scour forumla) for the first 24 hours, then onto the milk.  Again, we haven't found this necessary when they are going onto a cow.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS