Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One live triplet, two dead for a while - normal?  (Read 1606 times)

Solentfish

• Joined Jun 2012
One live triplet, two dead for a while - normal?
« on: February 14, 2013, 07:39:14 pm »
Hi all,
Our first lambing is going ok so far. Last night a Suffolk X ewe which has been very large during her pregnancy gave birth.
One was a large and lively ram lamb. The other two had been dead for a while. One was small and completely in its bag. The other must have made it close to term but looks like it was probably dead a couple of weeks.
I had been concerned as her first discharge was very dark brown in colour as we're the two dead lambs.
Should I be worried about this? Is this just a natural occurrence with one lamb becoming stronger and larger and there not being enough room or food to keep all three? She has been well fed with extra feed as I suspected multiples due to her size.
I have treated mum with anti biotics and she seems very well, so doesn't appear to have any adverse effects from having two dead lambs inside her.
At least she has one good lamb, so a successful outcome for that one - he is very cute as x with GFD ram!
Thanks
Julie

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: One live triplet, two dead for a while - normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:49:48 pm »
It's certainly not unheard of for a multiple birth to result in 1 live lamb and other lambs dead and you can even have a very mummified couple of dead lambs delivered, followed by a healthy live lamb!   Just one of those peculiarities of lambing I suppose.  Really pleased to hear Mum has one big lad left to look after and love - I am sure both ewe and remaining lamb will do just fine.   :thumbsup:  :hug:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 04:03:44 pm »
If you don't have a long-acting antibiotic I'd suggest keeping them going for a week, just to be sure.

Solentfish

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 10:28:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Good to hear it isn't such an unusual thing to happen.
So far both mum and lamb are doing really well. I will keep up the anti biotics just to make sure there is no infection.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS