Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: German Wire haired pointers  (Read 4429 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
German Wire haired pointers
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:55:19 pm »
Liver and white; 6 bitches and three dogs for sale. Born 13th May 2009, KC registered, ready July. Excellent pups for work, show or as family pets. Good homes essential.

To view call Fionna on 01573 470212 (Scottish Borders).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: German Wire haired pointers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 09:59:19 pm »
These are basically a working breed.  I have one, she is a lovely girl - I've had her since she was 4 months and she just turned a very fit 12 years old - but they need firm handling.  They are not just pet dogs.  They need work of some kind - not necessarily shooting, but something to use their minds.  They are very clever dogs, but as a breed can sometimes be sharp with other dogs.  You can do all sorts of stuff with them, they are part of the Versatile Gundog group - Hunter, Pointer, Retrievers - tracking, agility, obedience, falconry  - and shooting
http://www.germanwirehairedpointer.co.uk/index.html
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:46:28 pm »
I have a German wire haired/short haired cross and agree they are very clever dogs and need experienced dog owners - definitely not a first time dog owner dog!  Good Luck in selling them - any chance of some cute puppy photo's?

Here's Ralph looking a bit tubby!

And here's Ralph and Harry

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:46:16 pm »
Great looking cross breed there - what's his breeding (on each side)?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:16:53 am »
I would like to point out that they like stealing socks (especially hester), doesn't do anything bad with them just 'owns them' lol

Linz

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:32:57 am »
They are a lovely breed... I used to have a wiemaraner many many years ago, bit similar to the GSP/GWP's they need a firm hand and kept entertained, I used to do agility with mine.

D&J the pic of hester in the chair reminded me so much of my boy, its amazing for the size that they are that they can manage to tuck themselves into a tiny wee comfy space :-)

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »
I can vouch for GSP's ive had 2 both were absolute stars! Only 1 draw back though, mine both hated being without humans, unbelievably good at escaping!

That said i would recommend them 2 anyone surely has to be one of the best breeds out there!

BB

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 08:28:27 pm »
doganjo, I have no idea!  We got him at 18 months as a failed drugs sniffer.  He was bred specifically for passive drug sniffing at a massive dog training centre in Oxford and was then re-homed to us through the German Wire haired Pointer Rescue Society.  He's also very big, much bigger than a pointer should be.  He's also a total clutz - the first time we took him to Scotland he misjudged jumping a stone wall, hit it with his chest and knocked the thing down!! :o

He's a fantastic dog, but not a peaceful one to live with!  He also kills anything that comes into the garden including 4 chickens 2 cats and very nearly one Yorkshire Terrier.  I managed to save it just in time as he was throwing it in the air and catching it again!!!!  Not good, but he would never attack a dog out on a walk - rabbits and pheasants are fair game though!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 12:38:32 am »
Ah, I forgot to mention the cat thing. ::) :-[  In Australia they are bred to find and kill feral cats, they even climb trees after them.  In Germany they are known as Deutsch Drathhars and are also trained to kill their prey.  We don't do it like that in the UK  >:(
Hester tolerates our own cats, mine and my daughter's ones but any others are 'fair game'.  She 'retrieved' a chicken once. Pointed it through a hedge, John sent her in, not realising the chicken was on my side; she jumped the hedge and picked up the hen, She was only 8 months so not fully trained at the time - John blew the stop whistle, I bawled obscenities at her and John  ;D ;D ;D  She dropped the hen just as it tore itself free.  Wing and top of the leg were pared bare.  I sluiced it with water, squeezed half a tube of savlon in, slapped it back up, secured it with a crepe bandage round it's body, fastened with elastoplast and it lived another three years - albeit with a droopy wing  ;D ;D ;D

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 07:52:22 pm »
Our cat is snuffled at, but pretty much left alone - any other cats are a different story.  The last one Ralph killed was on Christmas evening a couple of years agao.  Not fun to go trailing around the neighbours asking if they had a ginger cat missing on such a special day - never did find the owner though.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Rosemary!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS