Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Friendly cull ewe looking for a forever home  (Read 4964 times)

Fleur

• Joined Feb 2013
Friendly cull ewe looking for a forever home
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:46:01 am »
Hi
this may sound like bizarre request, but I have loaned a cull ewe from a local farmer to keep my horse company while he recovers from an injury. He does not have long to go now and soon, the ewe, Florence as i called her, will be returned to the farmer to go to the kebab shop in the sky.
Unfortunately I am not allowed to keep her at the stables and we have enough animals to do each morning as it is, but I really don't want to send this friendly ewe for the chop, if i can help it.  You would have to buy her from the farmer for around £60 and have a holding number.  We live in Gloucestershire.  I know its a lot to ask, but this is my last ditch attempt to save the old girl who, although not having any front teeth, thrives on hay and has of course been indulged while we have her 'on loan'. She is a sweet old thing, a Romney girl, and has got used to me very quickly.
If she ended up living local to us I would be happy to half own her or something, just as long as she can live out her days as a lady of leisure. Thanks for reading my plea. :sheep:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: Friendly cull ewe looking for a forever home
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:02:25 am »
I know how attached you can get to sheep. I really, really hope someone comes through for her. She sounds lovely.  :fc:

Fleur

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:03:32 am »
thank you, I am just a softie.  I hope to have a few one day, just as pets. :sheep:

Luckyand Annie

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:26 am »
Hi
I can offer her a home with my old girls who are spoilt rotten and are totally in charge of all our grazing land!  We have a holding number but I would not be able to pay for her.  We are just over the Severn bridge and transport would not b a problem.

Fleur

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 10:20:25 am »
Would you be willing to go halves? I could manage that as having a horse leaves me without much else. Would be amazing if you could.  Thank you for replying.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:58:27 am by Fleur »

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 10:21:07 am »
I think the price for cull is down just now, maybe you could knock a few quid off, 'specially if you've been feeding her for no cost to the owner.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Fleur

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:23:16 am »
I will ask the farmer and let you know. Sounds like your girls have a lovely home. :sheep:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 12:24:01 pm »
I'm in South Gloucestershire (nr Thornbury) so happy to also offer a home to the old girl where she could live out her days with my small flock and be company for Molly my retired 17 year old Suffolk!   If LuckyandAnnie unable to progress things let me know.  If the farmer is a kindhearted chap, he might let her go for nothing  ;)  :fc:

Luckyand Annie

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:52:48 pm »
Up to you Fleur.  ZaktheLad will be closer and maybe in greater need of a companion but the offer still stands.  I probably should have checked how old she is?  (Not that it make much difference!)

Fleur

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 10:18:48 am »
I sent him a text yesterday, but as yet nothing heard.  Will keep you posted, thank you for the offers.
he thinks she is around 6 years old with no front teeth but she is a bit like Miss Piggy in a fleece.  She is so sweet.Will come back to you when i hear, but being a farmer, he will want something for her.  So chops may beckon.

17 year old sheep, wow!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:23:11 am by Fleur »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 11:16:57 am »
She won't be chops at 6 years old, she'll be kebabs.  They reckon to make 3000 doner kebabs from one large fit ewe  :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleur

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 09:04:46 am »
Farmer has come back this morning to say that he wants £60.  I am asking around on Facebook etc.  She will be going this Wednesday to market.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 09:10:09 am »
If you are really stuck, I'm in Worcestershire, nr Evesham.....hopefully one of the other offers will come good though  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleur

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 09:21:28 am »
Thank you.  If anyobody would like Florence, then its as detailed above.  I have no hang up where she lives, it would just be nice from a softies point of view for her to enjoy her days in the sun. She loves her grub!! I am out for a few hours, but if anyone would love her then I can put you in contact with the farmer and we can get her a forever home.  Thanks guys for all your help.

Fleur

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:44 pm »
Florence departs 4pm tomorrow afternoon.  If anyone in the meantime decides to buy her then let me asap so i can put them in touch with the farmer.  her last yummy dinner tonight  :gloomy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS