Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "World Disaster"!!!!  (Read 2664 times)

kermy79

• Joined Feb 2009
"World Disaster"!!!!
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:18:13 pm »
I pulled a large flowered plant the other day and it was very disappointing.  There were 5-6 spuds on the roots but is i cooked them and mashed them they wouldnt feed a sparrow.  They were tiny.  Its very confusing because the plants are about 3-4 foot tall with amazing white flowers and huge beautiful green leaves.  I was told to leave the plants to flower and then leave them a further 3 weeks after flowering before digging them up.  Thats what i did.  and the spuds pulled out were totally pathetic. :farmer:

Last night we had a strong winds, heavy rain and low temperatures so when i checked my garden the whole 50 plants were flat on the ground.  The stalks are bent not broken but not sure now if they will continue to grow ore are the totally dead. >:(

I am totally devistated and a little heart broken. :'(

Any help or advice please.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: "World Disaster"!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:35:35 pm »
May be your soil is full of nitrogen which has incurrage the potatoes to grow the leaves big and not much root growth but could be wrong about this (am no expert)

Linz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:04:03 pm »
Just leave them though even with the leaves bent over.  They may rally and the tubers keep on growing.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:26:10 pm »
I leave them until the leaves wilt, the longer you leave them the bigger the tatties. Just check occasionally that they are disease free. :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS