Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best leather welly replacement?  (Read 4197 times)

bealers

• Joined Dec 2012
  • North Shropshire
Best leather welly replacement?
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:03:09 pm »
Having recently had my second pair of - admittedly heavily utilised - expensive wellies perish within the past 5 years I'm considering alternatives.

Initially I thought rigger boots, which I already have anyway, but they are not necessarily comfy after sustained usage all flapping around on the shin and of course they don't have the length. My Mrs swears by her muck boots but they are not water proof all the way up.

So I was thinking shooting/horsey type ones.

Any recommendations? Are they actually waterproof?

Given I spent 10 hours in a bog this weekend and still had dry feet (thankyou chainsaw boots) I'm looking for something that can take a real hammering but last ages with the correct maintenance.

The other option is to just go really cheapy wellies once every year or so. But for something that I'll end up wearing a lot, I'd prefer something more substantial.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Best leather welly replacement?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:24:57 am »

The other option is to just go really cheapy wellies once every year or so. But for something that I'll end up wearing a lot, I'd prefer something more substantial.
I can't help with the expensive wellies but if you go for really cheap ones I expect you to be buying them much more often than once every year or so.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:20 am »
We love Muck boots and Muddies (similar) but, make sure they have a good sole as my pair sprung a leak due to walking on stones....however, my husband wears them now with water proof socks.......I suppose if  you are in deep wet mud, you need rubber or similar up to your knee.....I wear my leather boots now but would not like to wear them constantly in mud, more for walking in it!! I think look at cheaper wellies and replace them more often........

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:31:48 pm »
I buy cheap dunlop wellies , the green ones with black soles .
They cost about £9 + £3 p + p , and they last me about 3-4 months .
I walk 6 miles on the road everyday and wear them more or less all day in deep mud . They get a bashing .
The soles wear out with me everytime . Very rarely one will crack where my foot bends above the big toe .
I have been given expensive wellies , they nearly crippled me and didn't last as long as the cheapy dunlops .

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 09:32:05 am »
I've always worn Dunlops, too - but the more expensive ones (safety boots - black with green soles); can't remember off hand what they cost. They tended to last a full year when I was wearing them more or less non stop; in the end they always break at the back of the heel (and can then be used as garden planters!). As to leather boots, I have one pair of Dickie's (safety boots again) that's lasted me ten years, and that I still wear when it's not too wet. (Safety boots have the advantage that they are VAT free. Don't actually know whether the "normal" wellies are classed as work wear, too.)

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 08:02:32 pm »
I wear these during the winter they are a tight fit as in wont come off you need a boot jack, but when you are in the stickiest mud the last thing you want to do is leave a boot a pace behind and carry on walking in socks (the problem with Le Chameau)

So boot jack i have a metal one by Le Chameau

If I feel like wearing leather boots and its wet i wear these

These Lundhags handmade Swedish boots are all made with a combination of leather (shoe, insole and leg) and cellular rubber to keep your feet warm and dry. Keep the leather leg well impregnated with Lundhag cream and they are as waterproof as wellington boots, but considerably lighter and much more comfortable. All have deep cleated sole for a sure grip and sole insulation for warmth.

But they will need the correct maintenance

Otherwise i just wear steel toecapped V12s ( I find i'm one size smaller as the leather stretches over time)

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 09:01:15 pm »
I've recently replaced my wellies, but like others I've gone for rubber.

I needed waterproof, standard height, steel toe, steel midsole, and size 14... Anything above size 11 is internet only!

Got a new pair off eBay for £15 posted, had no issues so far.

As far as expensive vs cheap goes... I used to work in a commercial nursery, working in dry dusty conditions and soaking wet conditions, it didn't help that we put nitric acid in the water.  Work boots were really put through their paces, polished or waxed at least once a week.  A pair of £100 boots would last 8 months, a pair of £25 boots would last 6 months.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:35:55 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D someones got a shoe fetish!!!!!   :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS