Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rewiring an old Ford 4000  (Read 4484 times)

Riverside21

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Dorset
Rewiring an old Ford 4000
« on: February 06, 2013, 05:14:11 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a 1973 Ford 4000 with cab.

Having not really touched the tractor since I bought it, I've noticed the wiring is a touch dodgy! Melted and disconected wires are everywhere!

I have found a wiring harness on Agriline.com. (Part Number 5023) Is that all I need to buy? The picture on the website doesn't look like much wiring for the whole tractor. On the website, underneath the wiring harness is a rear light harness (Part Number 5023A), am I presume this isn't included in 5023?

Any help would be most appreciated,

Many thanks,
Seb

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Rewiring an old Ford 4000
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:52:02 pm »
good question; I've never actually bought a loom so I'm just guessing:

i'd imagine it would be the bulk of the loom up to the connectors where the separate components connect, and not including the separate harness.

obviously it wouldn't include the bits that the loom connects to like switches, light fittings, etc, and if a fitting has a length of wire coming out (e.g. a headlamp pod) it probably wouldn't include that last bit from the connector plug to the bulb. I would expect it to be bound together in webbing / trunking.

i don't know much about what wiring's in a 73 ford tractor either.

I think agriline have a tel. no so you could ask them if they know.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 02:48:07 am »
Personally I would let a vehicle electrican look first to find the cause of the melted wiring ? If he cannot say state the exact cause, he would at least put you in the right direction. If you were to just "fit a new wiring loom" , there is a good chance that it might do exactly the same thing, melt it or worse still, turn to fire.
Is the tractor fitted with an dynamo or alternator ? A 1973 tractor is on the change over. Because there is a dammed good chance that the fault lies in the charging system ?
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Riverside21

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:11:14 am »
Thanks Mab,

Odin, I'll ask my mechanic friend to have a look first! She's got an alternator. There is definatly a problem with the charging somewhere along the lines as the battery seems fine, but it never holds charge any longer than a couple of days. I'm overcoming this at the moment by disconnecting the battery after every use.

crofter 65

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Wester Ross
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:45:17 pm »
If it,s got an alternator someone has been tinkering / modifying the tractor already and the new loom will not be a straight fit, best get a Mechanic have a look.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS