Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Staphylococcal dermatitis in goatling  (Read 4397 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Staphylococcal dermatitis in goatling
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:37:59 pm »
One of my (soon to be) goatlings has persistent pustules/spots on her perineum (her behind in layman's terms), mainly on the skin where no hair growth is. Although she is swishing her tail a bit more than normal (she is not in season), it doesn't seem to bother her. I think it is most likely pustular dermatitis, caused by staph aureus (same as causing mudfever in horses). As it is very localised I was wondering if anyone could suggest an ointment/spray/wash that would help clear it up.

I have heard of using hibiscrub/chlorhexidine for mudfever, but the skin is quite sensitive around there... maybe tea tree oil?

I am reluctant to put her on antibiotics at this moment, and would hope to get it to clear with local treatment. Supplement-wise she should be ok, they just had a multivit/mineralbooster.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Staphylococcal dermatitis in goatling
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:47:51 pm »
LAVENDER!!!!!!!!! not tea tree please. Been there done that, not on a goat, very embarrassing and can vouch for the fact that it stings like a very stingy thing :-[ :-[ :-[
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:55:47 pm »
OK, thanks. I am not asking for details... ;) . I was going to dilute it though, but I do have lavender too.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:14:52 pm »
Mine was diluted too, still  :tired: :tired: :tired:

:roflanim:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:31:54 pm »
Neem?

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 06:10:20 pm »
Sudocrem - gentle enough for babies bottoms (and goats) :goat:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 06:29:01 pm »
We use Camrosa on horses with mud fever, our big horse is very prone to it and Camrosa clears it up quickly as well as protecting the skin from wet and mud.
Anne

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:50:27 pm »
Have to agree camrosa is fantastic. we have used it for all sorts of problems with animals, from cuts on horses  to burst abscesses on a goat that wouldn't clear up after 2 lots of antibiotics from a vet
Graham

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:35:19 pm »
camrosa here too
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 08:21:10 pm »
I would agree with Camrosa but also hibiscrub is anti viral/bactericidal/virucidal and as long as you dilute it, it should kill any germs. I use it in their feet to was out if scald.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 08:46:40 pm »
OK, I have not tried the Camrosa ointment, have seen the adverts though... will phine them up tomorrow to see what they say.

Washed her behind with teatdip (diluted iodine solution), just to get it properly clean and put Sudocream on this evening (as I had some in the house). After all Staph is just nappy rash without the nappies...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 02:57:52 pm »
We were accosted by a man from the Botanica stand at the Royal Highland show this year. He was somewhat enthusiastic about his products and gave us some free samples, and came back through the week to see how we got on with them.

They do a natural herbal cream, which contains lavender, comfrey, and I think it does have a little tea tree oil in it. We used it on a goat who gets infected insect bites, and it is good stuff. Also used on the spots under her tail (she gets it too) and it cleared them up very quickly.

Ordered another pot from their website a couple of weeks ago and it came very quickly. [size=78%]http://www.botanica.ie/[/size]

And this is the cream [size=78%]http://www.botanica.ie/products/botanica-natural-herbal-creams/125ml-herbal-cream/[/size]

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS