Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbit skins  (Read 14235 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Rabbit skins
« on: September 08, 2008, 01:37:11 pm »
Not wanting to sound macarb, but how do you process rabbit skin once it is dried?

Continuing my need to waste nothing, I have washed and dried out the pelt, but now need to know how to make it soft to process further.

Any advice greatfully recieved.  John suggested chewing it - sick that man of mine! - does he think I am an Eskimo!!

Kate  :-\
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Rabbit skins
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:42:48 pm »
Depends how you 'processed' it and what you want it for.

When my cat brings back rabbits, I peel them, cook the carcase to make meals for the dogs and cats, and put the skin fur side down in a basin then cover with salt and leave for a few days.  I don't wash the fur as that can harden it.  I then wrap the skin round a canvas dummy for retrieve training.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:36:18 pm »
i would say dry it via salting it (curing).

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:58:39 pm »
I did put salt on it and it is hard and stiff now.  Is it possible to make it nice and soft now? A suede sort of texture? I have a friend who thought she might sew it - make it into a purse or something.

Kate  ???

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 03:41:50 pm »
mmmmmmmmmmm if only my Nan and Granddad Where still around, I would be able to ask them (they where fur machinest/fur cutter in their time)

If you going to salt them i would imagine you would need to get it in shape first. I have a go a good old googling.
Linz

um not sure if this is any good for you http://msucares.com/livestock/small_animal/slaughter.html
I'll have a look in my  books later to see if they say anything.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 03:46:17 pm by Fluffywelshsheep »

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 04:08:17 pm »
hello,
     salting skins of any sort is a temporary way of stopping them from rotting till you can actually cure them .There are a few web sites that cover different ways of curing skins, I have only just got in , but will have a search as soon as I am in some dry clothes.....got soaked again. Just did a quick google and found this one ... looks like a good one too. It is a pdf so will need to be downloaded and saved.  

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/l-103.html

Hope it helps ...cheers

Russ

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:23:46 pm »
Thank you so much.  Now I know the terminology it makes it easier to google.  I will let you know how I get on.

How is it going Russ? I have been off line for a while, so have missed you !  I just knew you would respond to this one - you are always up for the challenge!

Kate  ;)

rustyme

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 12:22:49 am »
hello Kate,
          yes , exactly , once you know what things are called it is very easy to find out all the info. That is one of the great things about pc's and the WWW . Other than that I hate them ... lol.
    Things are going fine thanks , hope they are with you too, glad to see you back online again .It has been so very wet here, that , what I thought was going to be a good year for growing , has turned out to be a total wash out. Oh well , thats life , lets hope it is a better year next year !!!
      I have cured rabbit skins before , years ago , along with sheep skins a couple of calf skins and even a badger skin (road kill) , and a fox skin , god they stink .....But I can never remember all the ins and outs of doing it . So thought it better to pop a link up , would need one myself now. The thing I can remember about doing them is once cured you have to work them a lot , to make them supple , otherwise they turn into something like cardboard.  Good luck with them and let us know how it all goes .....
cheers for now ...Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS