Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: is this orf or mites or just rubbing?  (Read 3019 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
is this orf or mites or just rubbing?
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:29:47 pm »
our new ram who only came 2 weeks ago has developed blading patch on his face over top of nose..its just hairloss and i cannot see any scabs or sore spots, hes not that tame yet so need to catch him for a good look...
im thinking its prob not orf as no scabs, i think he may be doing it by sticking nose through the hay feeder to eat and rubbing it on top  but not sure..or could it be mites..doesnt seem to rub or scratch it at all.

iv hopfully attached a pic..

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
Re: is this orf or mites or just rubbing?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:45:40 pm »
Its difficult to tell as the picture is still small even when its opened. try resizing it to about 1024 x 768

Cheers  :thumbsup:
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:04:14 pm »
im a techno phob, how do it do that?

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 06:10:08 pm »
Sally has done a useful guide - heres the link http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=18691.0

Cheers

Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:15:55 pm »
did it work?

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:18:32 pm »
or this?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 06:48:44 pm »
Getting there hun. but a bit bigger would still be handy ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 08:07:45 pm »
Lots of folks have seen wool loss in odd patches in a variety of places.  If the sheep's scratching I would suspect scab or lice but get the vet to ascertain which it is.  If it's not it'd be a quick squirt of antibiotic spray and see what happens.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:47:07 pm »
I have several Shetands that have some small bits of facial wool loss and its in my case down to the the hay feeder. I think its because they have smaller heads and can get there heads further into the mesh.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 10:46:38 pm »
its deffinately not itchy..i can take a skin scrap and check it at work as im a small animal nurse if i need to but don't think its mites as not itchy..im more worried about orf but its just hair loss with smooth skin where the hair has gone rather than scabs or sores so hopeing its not this.i have terramycin spray so may stick some of this on it when i catch him at weekend.no one else seems to have any  but then they all eat from top of feeder rather than sticking noses in through holes in side of feeder

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:08:28 am »
I have a ram lamb with a similar patch on his face - but I saw it on the day it happened, and it was caused by him being tangled up in brambles and he'd obviously scratched his face trying to get free.  But yes, if you didn't know that the brambles tangle had happened then it does look more suspicious.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 09:37:40 am »
If it's not itchy then it's not scab nor mites or lice.  When you catch hold of him, you should be able to tell if there is only wool loss or also any infection.  Don't use an antibiotic spray unless it's infected. 

Almost certainly it's caused by friction against the bars of the hay heck, and won't cause him any problems at all.  If you think it is sore you could use Sudocrem to soothe, or if you think there is a possibility of his getting an infection, Septiclense antiseptic spray to both soothe and clean.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS