Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you think.  (Read 1810 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
What do you think.
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »
I had two lambs in the freezer and have been more than happy with the meat until last night. My son was due out to pick up my granddaughter and as he loves lamb I decided to roast a joint. It was a rolled shoulder which he enjoyed but funny enough I did not. It came back on me throughout the evening which I have never had in the past. Lunch time today I thought I would try it cold in a sandwich but again did not like it. To me it had a very strong flavour and I am now wondering if I was eating mutton. which would mean I did not get back all my lamb. Anyone had this experience ?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: What do you think.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:57:53 pm »
Rammy meat perhaps? Did you castrate your lambs if they were male? Were they rigs maybe?
I have never found mutton to be distasteful, more intense perhaps, like lamb but more so if that make sense?
Rammy meat is a taste all of its own however (I kind of like it but I am very odd :P ) and is the most likely to cause comment out of all the types sheep meat in my experience.
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 02:15:50 pm »
Freezer burn? Sometimes if meat has been in freezer longer than 6 months it develops an odd taste? I can taste it but kids cant....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:20:10 pm »
I would have thought that the whole animal would have tasted "bad" (different) if it was mutton or ram taint.  But you say that the rest you have eaten has been okay?  Have you eaten any of this exact animal before?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:28:57 pm »
Not sure but he was a ram lamb and big, the ewe lamb being small so I expect that the shoulder joint came from him. there is no freezer burn. I have told James that this year I would like two ewe lambs to raise. Did not think of ram taint so thanks for that.  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:51:23 pm »
We never take in entire ram lambs more than 8 months old and make sure they're run out of sight and sound of females for the four months after weaning.  Been OK so far.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS