Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just when I thought we had turned the corner  (Read 5366 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Just when I thought we had turned the corner
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:18:38 am »
Saturday morning all 3 kids were out skipping about in the sun  :sunshine: . Yesterday when I went out little buttercup was lying by herself breathing very heavily , vet sent out some Terramycin and some meloxadyl for her, he thinks her lungs have been damaged by the pneumonia. Any ideas if there is anything else I could do to help her.
Anne

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Just when I thought we had turned the corner
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:41:05 pm »
No advice here but i hope shes on the mend soon, this weather really doesnt seem to be helping any of us at the moment  :(  Heres hoping the rest of the year improves from now on  :fc:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:26:21 pm »
Poor Buttercup.  Hope she's well soon.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 06:32:59 am »
 :bouquet: hope she improves soon.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:17:45 am »
I hope she gets better - this cold isn't the best for them along with the snow or rain that never stops...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:54 am »
Och Anne, sorry to hear that. 

Just been looking up all my goat books to see if there was anything.  One did mention that just like humans they need enough water - 'drink water and get plenty of rest' and that you may need to tube feed her.  Also that 'even kids that recover may be more prone to further pneumonia, develop a chronic cough, or not grow well', probably not what you want to hear.  :-\ 

It's difficult to know - ventilation, too much ventilation, cold / heat lamps.  You have a lovely place for them and everything a goat kid could need.  Do the females need separated from BB - would he catch it too, or the adults?

Good luck with them, keep us posted, will be thinking of you and them Anne  :-[
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:44 pm »
Don't know if any help but when we had some poorly lambs the vet recommended all had injections of steroid as well as antibiotics. It was only 1ml but in some cases it just gives them that extra boost they need. Also very helpful with chest related problems.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:52:05 pm »
Buttercup has been to see the vet today, well actually they both went so she had a healthy kid to compare with. She thinks that she may have a heart murmur but as her breathing is so fast and seems to be in time with her heart beat it was difficult to tell, her temperature is normal so she had a shot of steroid and is to have vitamins.
Vet says not to give up hope yet as she is still eating and has been enjoying the last 2 days of sunshine.
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 07:59:53 pm »
 :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »
Poor love  :goat:

I hope the steroids help, they've certainly seem quite magical in some of my stock.

That she's eating well still is a good sign  :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 07:01:44 pm »
Good luck with her Anne, thinking of you  :hug:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:51:47 am »
Sadly poor little Buttercup went downhill, what seemed to be overnight as yesterday she was out in the sun with her mother and sister. This morning she sounded quite distressed and was having difficulty standing so made the decision to have her pts. The vet was here within 30minutes and the deed was done, she had an enlarged liver and her tummy was unnaturally big but not going to do a pm.
Anne

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 11:07:57 am »
Oh Anne  :hug:  very upsetting  :hug:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 11:26:05 am »
NO, no oh no - so sorry Anne  :hug: know how you feel..........
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 03:30:46 pm »
So sorry  :(
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS