Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Filing overgrown teeth  (Read 4584 times)

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
Filing overgrown teeth
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:57:29 pm »
We have a 9-year old ewe whose teeth are overgrown and are causing her trouble. She drops lots of cuds and has trouble keeping on weight. It would be a shame to cull her so I want to try to file her teeth. Has anyone done this and do you have any tips? Farriers do this for horses all the time so it must be possible.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Filing overgrown teeth
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:47:56 pm »
 :thinking: :thinking: hmmmm not a job I would fancy having a go at myself, personally unless you have a sheep gag and dental rasps handy I would get you vet to do it.

if you aren't an animal dentist and have a sheep gag and dental rasps handy then I make the suggestion you are slightly weird :-J :innocent: :innocent: :roflanim:

We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:56:50 pm »
Do vets do it? I assumed that since commercial farmers would just cull such sheep it wouldn't be something they were ever called on to do.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:03:07 pm »
I have in the past, asked my vet about it, and mine certainly would do so if needed and at my request.
You are correct in saying most commercial farmers would cull, but the vets aren't just there for the big boys.
I know my vet certainly has the equipment needed for such a task. If you can take the ewe to the vets, they will have everything they could possibly need at the surgery AND it will be cheaper for you too :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:51 pm »
If the teeth are loose they may be better coming out. If the ewe is completely toothless she will find it easier to eat with some TLC and some adjustments to her diet. My 12 year old Shetlands were toothless... but the still loved their crunchy toast

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:50:05 am »
Thanks Colliewoman - I'll try my vet.

It's overgrown back teeth that are the problem here rather than loose front teeth, Anke. We have had a ewe without any front teeth in the past, and, yes, they can manage surprisingly well.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:44:05 am »
We had this done last year, on the first ewe lamb my son bought from me to begin his own flock, now an elderly pet who'll see out her life here on the farm.  Our vet used a rasp generally used for equines.  Turned out to be a lost bottom back tooth and the one above it growing down unchecked, making cudding almost impossible.  She's still thin (and sporting a natty grey dog coat - large size - to keep her warm through this appalling weather), but bright as a button and eating well.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:34:03 am »
Oh I wouldn't attempt to file down some back teeth myself.... I value my fingers.

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 02:00:26 pm »
I have an elderly ewe with suspected molar spurs. She drops lots of cuds and is quite thin. I supplement her forage with a mash of grass pellets and soaked sugar beet, which she loves. The vet is prepared to come and rasp her teeth, but suggested it was probably less stress all round to feed her extra. Like Marches Farmer, I put a large dog coat on her at night if it gets proper cold.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »
I've attempted to deal with cudspitting (rhodedendrons aside) and in my experience it is a road to nowhere - the teeth will need re-filing every so often and if they are rotten they wont really properly get better. I'd get it way whilst it'll fetch a decent cull price.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS