Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: golden border collies  (Read 8918 times)

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
golden border collies
« on: June 18, 2009, 03:35:22 pm »
hi im looking to locate a border collie breeder who has golden border collies they must be reg
they are beyond rare but im hopeful!
GEM. X

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: golden border collies
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 03:52:34 pm »
This colour is indeed rare - here is a good site which shows photos of all the recognised colours - http://www.bryningbordercollies.com/Border-Collie-Colours

Golden is also known as Australian red

Description of Reds/Goldens on this site -
"This colour is very rare in the UK and there is therefore confusion over the correct name; we usually refer to this as golden/yellow or Australian red although again, the shades can vary greatly. Obviously in Australia/NZ they just refer to this colour as red. Red is also a recessive gene so two copies of the gene must be present in a dogs genetic makeup in order for it to be red. Both parents must carry the gene in order for it to be produced in a litter. If you mate two reds you will only produce reds.

Neither the tricolour or merle gene can be expressed on this coat colour so it is unwise to ever mate a golden red with a merle unless you knew the lines very well; if the merle carried the golden red gene you would almost certainly produce phantom merles."

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 04:26:28 pm »
im a hobby breeder and am also starting to compete at novice level in obedience and soon hope to compete in trials i have a non-reg tri bitch and an isds brown and white bitch out of p.williams "dale" i also have a blue merle boy out on permanent loan/breeding terms but i doubt i will ever use him as he hasnt made the cut!

ive studied all the colour combinations as im always cautious about using merles!
thanks anyway though gem x
GEM. X

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:52:38 pm »
I've never seen that golden colour but it's very beautiful. Ours are just tricolours. But lovely anyway.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:30:06 pm »
I've never seen that golden colour but it's very beautiful. Ours are just tricolours. But lovely anyway.
you can see why i want one!
i should also post a pic of my 2 girls they are both stunning
even though they are completely different types!
GEM. X

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:45:49 pm »
I'm very interested in colours just now because the French Club of our breed (I have Brittanys) has just banned sables saying that it must have been brought into the breed via a misalliance.  I'm unconvinced, thinking it is more likely to be a mutation.  It's not banned in the UK as yet although tricolours have to have specific markings - above the eyes, on the cheeks, below the knee and on front legs, either side of chest, and under vent.  I don't understand genetics but find it fascinating and am trying to trace back the earliest incidence of sable in the UK.  It appears to have come from France when the breed first came into the UK.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:57:23 am »
I'm very interested in colours just now because the French Club of our breed (I have Brittanys) has just banned sables saying that it must have been brought into the breed via a misalliance.  I'm unconvinced, thinking it is more likely to be a mutation.  It's not banned in the UK as yet although tricolours have to have specific markings - above the eyes, on the cheeks, below the knee and on front legs, either side of chest, and under vent.  I don't understand genetics but find it fascinating and am trying to trace back the earliest incidence of sable in the UK.  It appears to have come from France when the breed first came into the UK.

check this site out, i believe it may be of interest www.vetgen.com/canine-coat-color.html

im off to bed now, i hope this helps!
gem x
GEM. X

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 11:10:27 am »
I'd never heard of them.  They look cool!  I'd love love love a blue merle though...  :love:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 11:22:59 am »
Thanks, Gem.  That is the most straightforward explanation I have seen.  I can understand it!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 11:23:57 am »
I'd never heard of them.  They look cool!  I'd love love love a blue merle though...  :love:
Yes they are pretty but I don't like their eyes - they look weird.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 11:37:57 am »
not all blue merles have blue eyes/odd eyes
there are plenty with brown eyes
also i saw 2 black and white collies last year with blue eyes,
i nearly bought 1 but managed to stop myself!
GEM. X

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 08:13:16 pm »
ive found a uk breeder and ive sent her an e-mail
i dont think she has any pups at the moment though!
keep your fingers crossed for me!

gem x  :pug: :paw:
GEM. X

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 12:11:01 pm »
Yeah - my black and white collie is very spotty with a light blue eye and a half navy blue/brown eye.  People always ask you if he's blind!  I think he looks cool!  :love:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 10:48:37 pm »
Well, that site was great. There are colours of collies I didn't even know existed- Lilac Merle's indeed! Both of ours are just plain tri colours. I would love a chocolate (red) and white one though.

Beth

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 09:13:19 pm »
ballingall if you ever want any of these colours let me know
and i will put you in touch with someone with pups
i also know someone with a lilac bitch(isds reg)
who may be lucky enough to have pups of the same colour!
and i have a chocolate-red bitch as well who will be mated soon.
(depending on the results of her cea)
GEM. X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS