Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewes in Lamb  (Read 2267 times)

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
Ewes in Lamb
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:57:49 pm »
so this year i decided to scan my small flock of 29 ewes and ewelambs. we have never scanned our sheep before even when mum and dad had a flock of over 700 ewes. so i was quite hopeful that they would all be in lamb.. However, out of 29, nine werent in lamb.

4 of theses first lambed last year, one has been lambing every year since for about 3 years, having in 2 doubles last year as the rams got back in with the flock. and then there where 4 ewelambs that werent in lamb but 2 of them had only been put in with the ram in late december so i wasnt expecting them in lamb..

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with alot of sheep not being in lamb?!

Thanks
3rd generation, blonde scattered brained farmer. 1 jack russel x patterdale, 1 collie, 5 chickens, 6 cats, 63 breeding ewes & 5 cows. hopefully some pigs soon!!  working on fathers beef and arable farm. and relief milker!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Ewes in Lamb
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 02:32:55 pm »
Lots of higher than average barren rates reported around here.  Our scanner visited one pedigree flock and found 1 lamb in 27 ewes, and had such poor results scanning one of the big Welsh flocks they sent him home!  Down to Schmallenberg Virus.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 02:56:16 pm »
Not just down to Schmallenberg - there have been a lot of barren ewes up here too, and a lot of losses to fluke and other parasites.

The weather has been so 'orrid this last 18 months, there's no goodness in the grass nor the forage made last so-called 'summer'  ::)  Livestock have needed more help - minerals, cake / licks - to get into breeding condition, and more meds to cope with the unseasonal parasites - fluke in summer, worms in winter, not to mention the already beleaguered stock then succumbing to problems they would normally shake off, such as lungworn and pneumonia.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:09:13 pm »
I honestly think it's been one of those years, as Sally says SBV in some and weather problems and parasites in others, coupled with low lamb prices at the moment you wonder why you bother!! hopefully things will improve  :fc:  certainly the weather needs to.
I hope the sheep you have in lamb are ok and you get some nice lambs from them. But it has been a very odd year and friends we have talked to up and down the country are all having various problems, believe me you are not alone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS