Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is elder poisonous to sheep  (Read 9121 times)

Notasausage

• Joined Feb 2013
Is elder poisonous to sheep
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:51:00 am »
We're keen to plant some elder for the berries but the area we had in mind is in the corner of our field currently grazed by sheep and likely to be used for horses and maybe pigs and goats in the future. I've looked online but get conflicting views of whether this will be ok? Does anyone have elder and what animals have access to it? Do they eat it or tend to leave it alone?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Is elder poisonous to sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:10:56 am »
Mine eat it, and the goats do too and they are all fine :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:19:25 am »
I don't know if it's on the list of poisonous plants to stock but it grows in our hedges and no problems so far with the sheep. Thinking about it, it is in most hedges around here and all the fields have sheep in them.

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:40:44 am »
we've got some bits in a couple of the fields and they get nibbled occasionally - doesn't seem to be any ill effects from it... :)
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:49:06 am »
We have some in one of our grazing areas, can't say I've ever seen them at it.

It grows all over West Somerset, which is a big sheep area, and no-one seems to think it does any harm.

Maybe best not to plant only elder, but provided it forms a part of a mixed hedgerow, I'd have thought you'd be fine.  And it makes beautiful champagne, cordial and wine  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:10:41 am »
No problem with the elder thats here in the sheeps paddock
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:05:25 am »
I too had read that it's poisonous but our love it.  I guess that because it's a small tree they can't actually eat a lot of it in one go.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 11:46:57 am »
However if you want to get it established you would have to make sure that it is out of bounds of any livestock for a good few years... goats will kill any young bushes very quickly.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 12:30:50 pm »
I think it is worth keeping an eye on ESP in autumn, it may not be relevant to sheep but growing number of deaths in horses from a disease called equine atypical myopathy have now in overseas studies been linked to a subspecies of elders when the leaves are dead and dying on the ground in autumn. Mortality is about 70% of cases so pretty horrid. Uk research will now take place. as I say it may not be relevant to sheep but worth keeping an eye on the research in case they learn that some previously unexplained sheep deaths turn out to be linked to this.

Article about cases of EAMhttp://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horsecare/1370/303438.html

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS