Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Estimateing the weight of a sheep  (Read 3725 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Estimateing the weight of a sheep
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:10:47 am »
Hi,I have 3 wethers that I have grown on for mutton.They are texal X suffolks and are now 2 years old.
I need to estimate there weight for worming,in the past I have only kept store lambs,and so am not sure how to estimate the weight of these.

Is it also OK to drench with a flukiside at the same time as a wormer.

Thanks Graham
Graham.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Estimateing the weight of a sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:05:23 pm »
Difficult without seeing the sheep but ,a xbred of that type , well fed and grown well could be 70 -90 kg. No prob using a combination drench , if you mean two separate products then best not , some work together some don,t :raining:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:08:13 pm »
Difficult without seeing the sheep but ,a xbred of that type , well fed and grown well could be 70 -90 kg. No prob using a combination drench , if you mean two separate products then best not , some work together some don,t :raining:
this :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:33:45 pm »
As a vet, I would also advise if in doubt to worm/drench for the heaviest, or overestimate them. Wormers have pretty high safety margins. Also definitely worth worming with a combined flukicide to kill off anything that's been hiding in the liver over winter. All the best with them :)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:18:49 pm »
Hi,thanks for the replies,these are 3 big lads I will go for the upper estimate if it isn't going to do them any harm any way.

Graham.
Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS