Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The pigs have gone  (Read 3606 times)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
The pigs have gone
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:20:04 am »
Our two lovely gos's have gone to slaughter. It was actually quite a painless experience for us. They slept the night in the trailer and seemed quite relaxed on the way to the abbatoir. We are visiting the butcher on Friday to see how we want them cut. We think they were about 65-70 kg live weight so will be interested to see what they come back as. Think I will try to make some belly bacon from one of the recipes I found on here.
I do miss them though, they were such characters. Cant wait to get the next lot. :pig:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: The pigs have gone
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:34:16 am »
I have been tempted to have a couple of pigs myself, but I have an awful feeling I would get too fond of them and find it too hard to send them for slaugher.  Coming from a farming background, and having beef cattle which obviously go for slaughter, I should be able to cope.

I have to admit that from pigs we have had on the farm in the past, there is nothing quite like the taste of home cured bacon and ham.  I am quite envious of you having all this to look forward to.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:47:40 am »
It is always a mix of saddness, guilt and excitement for me when my pigs go. I get attached to them but get very excited at the thought of all that meat. get some more , quickly.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:42:29 pm »
I never thought I'd get so attached to my first ones but I did! I know how you feel, its strange without them, hurry up and get some more thats my advice :pig:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 08:50:27 pm »
Sorry to be suck an unsensitive git, but what deadweight did they come back at? Did you have much back fat?

Regards,

Morgan

nellie

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Mont St Michel France
    • Vacation Normandy
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 10:36:28 pm »
sorry I never get attached - too much slobber on my nice white trousers and I have had my toes tread on too many times :o

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 07:05:13 am »
Have you got some more lined up yet?

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 09:44:25 pm »
Just eaten first bit of pork and it was absolutely delicious. Did feel a twinge of guilt when we left them but they had a great life. They came back at  69 and 72 kgs dead weight but one was minus its head. One was a little fatty and butcher said he could have done with coming in a couple of weeks earlier but overall happy with them. Really pleased with that and will do it again but not for a while as we have a freezer full of pork as we only managed to sell one half. Making some belly bacon which will be ready at the end of the week. :)  :pig:  :pig:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 09:16:05 am »
Tasting your own reared pork is fantastic! well done, glad you enjoyed the experience, and dont feel guilty they had a good life!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS