Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long?  (Read 1609 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
How long?
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:31:10 pm »
Just wondered what minimum time to leave a pen was, to stop it becoming pig sick? 6 months? thanks  :thinking:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: How long?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 03:48:36 pm »
We aim for six months longer if you can, this gives grass time to regrow and get a deeper hold weeds too!
We normally rotivate, seed and roll ours but not this year too wet, still waiting to get on with sub-soiler to drain all the water out of them! :rant: We will have weaners to go out in about 4wks time and i only  have one paddock ready that i managed to save back end of sept! heavens knows when the big pigs will get back outside, if the weather doesn't improve they'll be in for the duration! ::)
mandy :pig:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: How long?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 09:30:36 am »
I guess it would depend on size of paddock but we found that 6 mths was just about ok to grow the grass again over late summer and autumn for use in winter.  It was soon demolished with all the rain that we had, the ground was so soft and heavy.    Our sows trashed a new grass area in a fortnight :(

Obviously it depends on the size of the paddock but we try to limit pig usage of a paddock to 6 mths.

You might want to check out tuckers seeds or something similar and have a think about growing fodder beet, kale or mangels etc , rather than grass....it can be used as feed :) but you would need to find ways of having your pigs graze sections rather than all at once.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS