Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: LAST MINUTE CHANCE FOR A PEDIGREE SADDLEBACK SOW  (Read 4153 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
LAST MINUTE CHANCE FOR A PEDIGREE SADDLEBACK SOW
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:01:17 pm »
Our poor Rosie is currently booked into the ultimate sausage factory this Wednesday - very few responses to my ads to sell her, and all who did show some interest have failed to materialise.   Would be happy to give her away for free if there is a good home out there, with other pigs, Hampshire/south coast area.    As advertised previously, 3 years old, 3 successful litters, wonderful mother to her piglets, such a waste to finish her off now.    Tamsaddle  :gloomy: :gloomy: :gloomy:

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: LAST MINUTE CHANCE FOR A PEDIGREE SADDLEBACK SOW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:14:51 pm »
Try happy endings animal Rescue they take in pigs sheep ect and they are Vegan run so your pig will  never be eaten

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:50:01 pm »
Pigs are for eating, enjoy her as sausages and bacon. I slaughtered a 3 year old a few months ago and the bacon is the best I've had and the sausages taste even better than usual.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:27:47 pm »
You have a point BB, but still it is incredibly sad having to do this to a pig in such peak condition.  After chatting with Rosie every day for 3 years she now seems more like a member of the family than a pig, and I feel very differently about this than routine trips to the abattoir with finished pigs.   Never thought this would be her fate - not yet at least.  Still, I will never need to worry, as I would have done, that she is not happy in another, unknown home.    Also, she is still very lean only 2 weeks after her piglets were weaned, but even so - I wish with all my heart it wasn't having to end this way.

Thanks for the idea of the rescue centre, but don't think that would have been the solution, as what she really needed was to go somewhere where she could grow and nurture more babies.

I am not looking forward to waking up on Wednesday morning, knowing what has to be done - Tamsaddle   

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 08:34:24 pm »
I know what you mean the sow I culled was one of my favourites but she had damaged her leg so couldn't support the boar. It was a sad day when I took her but in my case it was all I could do. You will just have to be brave and shed a tear and enjoy her in a different way. Good luck Wednesday I will be thinking of you.  :hug:

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:07:46 pm »
Agree with BB ... good luck and be brave

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:34:55 pm »
Hope you have a last minute taker  :innocent:
Thinking of you  :hug:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 12:46:41 pm »
How did it go Tamsaddle, hopefully smoothly.  :hug:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 03:18:41 pm »
She was very good, got into and out of the trailer without any fuss.   Quite horrible saying the final goodbye, but thankfully she was already otherwise occupied by a new pig in the adjacent lairage also waiting the same fate.    Laverstoke is a fantastic abbattoir, and the Polish guys there are so kind and gentle with all the pigs they deal with, so that wasn't an issue.   

This particular thread and all your comments has helped me no end, realising how many others have been in the same boat.   Thank you all - Tamsaddle

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 04:37:02 pm »
So sorry you had to go through this, but it does sound like it went as well as it could.  I admire you for doing what you did.  I could not have done it.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 04:39:56 pm »
I'm glad it went smoothly, never an easy time but you gave her a good life and a dignified and stress free end.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »
Tamsaddle well done for doing the right thing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 09:42:45 pm »
Glad it went as well as possible.  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS