Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Angora shearer wanted!  (Read 2154 times)

AH

• Joined Aug 2012
Angora shearer wanted!
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:05:25 pm »
Is there anyone in the Carmarthenshire/Ceredigion area who is an experienced Angora shearer?  We only have a very small flock at the moment, but would like to find someone now for when the flock grows.

Thanks

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Angora shearer wanted!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:49:55 pm »
Are you a member of BAGS/Dyfed angora group?  Have you tried contacting one of the local angora herd owners to ask who they use?

AH

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:55:09 am »
I'm not a member yet, I've tried asking locally but most people seem to use sheep shearers, which I'm not sure about. Angoras can be quite tricky to shear, they don't 'sit' nicely like sheep (at least my girls don't!) and there are a lot of baggy bits to contend with.
I'll try DAG or BAGS and see what they say.  Ta

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:50:15 pm »
I'm new to keeping angoras.  My neighbour- sheep farmer- sheared mine. As you say they flop differently and trickier, he found the handpiece got too hot even for him.
He wasn't very pleased with the job he'd done and told me to say I'd done them myself if anyone asked.  I'd like to learn to do my own, we'll see.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 10:28:05 pm »
My hubby used to do ours before his accident. You need a special comb on the shearing machine especially for angoras. It does get hot though and hubby used to dip the comb into a little water to cool, but also kept the combs well lubricated.
My sheep shearer now shears mine as he also shears a flock of angoras somewhere else. I always have to tidy them up between their horns by their heads, other than that he is not too bad.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS