Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How Many Breeding Hens per Cockerel?  (Read 4224 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
How Many Breeding Hens per Cockerel?
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:48:55 am »
Interested in how many breeding hens you folks keep to each breeding cockerel.  I want to change our system this year and keep more hens away from the cockerels as demand for eggs from the farm gate is rising.  It always seems to be a bit of a balancing act getting numbers right and is always completely thrown anyway when I get a cockerel that favours just one or two hens above the others!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: How Many Breeding Hens per Cockerel?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:25 am »
Last year we kept 12 Light Sussex with our cockerel and still had excellent fertility. I'm planning on 8 or maybe a maximum of 10 this year. We too need to keep a bit of a flock just for "eating" eggs this year and I plan to use this as a rest and recooperation area for any breeding hens that get too hammered by the cockerels.

Dicky

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:47:58 am »
We had 12/13 hens to one cockerel last year and of 20 eggs that we incubated all were fertile and 19 of them survived to adulthood.  He seems a lot more relaxed now he only has 5 hens though.  He used to be very agro and defensive, but has calmed down a lot, though perhaps come the spring he will get all het up again

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 02:15:45 pm »
A maximum of 10 is recommended for the Cuckoo Marans, but I think the lighter breeds can happily cope with more.   And the younger the male the more easily he can cope with extras if you know what I mean   :eyelashes:  ..........   :roflanim:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:12:26 pm »
When I worked in the commercial poultry industry breeding pedigree broilers on a trap nesting program it was one cockerel to ten hens. Fertility was usually down to the cockerel. These were broilers so big birds.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:40:48 pm »
5-10 I reckon, depends a lot on the breed and the cockerel.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS